Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, January 26, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, January 26, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, January 27, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, January 27, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.
MP (first 60 minutes only)Alphora
MPApelon, Inc.
M(conflict w first 30 minutes)MaxMD
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
MPHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
OPOffice of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn Snyder

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2022-01-12 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers
  • Rollcall & Proxies
    • RM: Proxies are among the approvals that must be vetted through the TSC approval process
    • RM:  there are other practices that need this process correction


  • Announcements 
  • Policy & Process Documentation Repository
    • Requirements
    • Disposition - library approach
    • Each TSMG Subgroup should have their own pages
      • HTA pages will be linked (& stay where they are)
    • Goals
      • Inventory of current assets
      • identify conflicts, gaps in terminology documentation & guidance
      • Get started on the  pages by end of February
        • UTG / THO (JB)
        • Policy Process (RD)
        • Education / Outreach (DG)
  • PSS Review
  • TSMG Jira Tickets
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates
          HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • Next HTA meeting this Thursday 27-Jan-2022
  • JIRA ticket opened for GOM changes to remove HTA: GCR-354 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • Useful text from GOM should be moved to HTA confluence page
  • Connectathon 30 Track (May2022)
      • WGM follow-up: Terminology Service Capability Statement track
      • Follow-up  meeting with Viet & Sandy 
  • Additional Test Cases for Terminology Services
  • TSMG subgroup regular meetings
  • OMOP-FHIR Terminologies Subgroup
       HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10JB, RD
  • Main priority for UTG/THO subcommittee is review and approve implementation of the UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • Major piece is assigning appropriate people to OSG groups
    • Received pushback from Product Management groups, as a response to the feedback the subcommittee is recommending the following approach
    • Next steps
      • Move forward with plan to request that WGs provide people to be part of an OSG, with a minimum of three per OSG 
        • Based on community feedback, we will adjust to what the community can provide
      • Ask Rob M. and Peter for help recruiting for Realm-Based OSG
      • Vocab and TSMG need to review and assign voters as well
      • Put Management Groups in charge of assigning product and services OSGs, but they do not necessarily need to be co-chairs
      • Also request that WGs provide someone willing to learn this process (as an apprenticeship-like role) so that we can bring them up to speed with the help of the appropriate methodology groups
      • TSC clarification
        • Need to ask for clarification for ad hoc OSGs and how OSGs may change but membership does not automatically refresh on tickets already in Consensus Review
        • Expectations for when members of an OSG need to change
  • Resource has been dedicated to help with UTG automation
    • Determining tasks that will be assigned with input from Ted Klein and Josh Procious 
  • Started discussion on business requirements for a UTG Editor
    • UTG Editor should simplify creation and editing of THO resources through a web-based editor
    • It would be very desirable to have a process that works with Git to hide 
    • Jess to work on writing up requirements
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items with a focus on release tracking in progress
    • Reviewed current implementation of release tracking on Jira Dev
    • Testing of release tracking to occur prior to pushing to Prod
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Publisher-impacting Change Process
  • Decision Making Practices

Internal Code system Identifier Taskforce


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-01-12 TSMG Agenda and Minutes