Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, December 1, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, November 17, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, November 18, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, November 18, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
M (CTO)X(Peter Jordan)HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)X (Carol Macumber)MD Partners, Inc.
MP (first 60 minutes only)Alphora
MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
MX (Davera Gabriel)Intermountain Health
MPHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
OPSNOMED International
OPCara Schlegel ICF 

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2021-12-08 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Welcome to members and guests
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Need to cancel meeting on 19Jan22
    • Some members will not be available next week due to the Connectathon


  • Announcements 
    • Requirement to attend Product Management Council meeting at WGM - Q0 Thursday, Jan 20
    • Change in TSMG membership
  • Policy & Process Documentation Repository
    • Requirements
    • Disposition - library approach
    • Each TSMG Subgroup should have their own pages
    • Goals
      • Inventory of current assets
      • identify conflicts, gaps in terminology documentation & guidance
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates
          HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • HTA meeting again next week
  • Update from Rob & Bryn re: OIDs
    • New Zealand, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and Australia do not charge for OIDs within their affiliates when requests come from members.
  • The HTA will be working on the GOM changes to formalise HTA as a subcommittee of TSMG (rather than a standalone governance body) e.g. board appointment, standalone confluence space, etc.
  • January Connectathon planning  January 10-12, 2022
    • Terminology Services track proposal: **Deprecated** 2022-01 Terminology Services
    • Timeslot(s) for "Ask an Expert" / Office Hours Sessions
      • Rob McClure -HL7 Vocabulary Office Hour (Monday 1/10, 2p CST)
      • Peter Jordan - FHIR Terminology Server Implementation Office Hour (Tuesday 1/11, 2p CST)
      • Rob Hausam - Office Hour (Tuesday 1/11, 3p CST)
      • Carmela Couderc - Internal Code System Management Office Hour (Wednesday, 1/12, 10a CST)
    • Quality Measures joint session, Bryn Rhodes lead (Tuesday 1/11, 4p CST)  
      • Need to locate a server with the appropriate content to support the QM use case
    • Kick off meeting (Recorded)
      • Th (8a,9a,1p,6p); Fri (10, noon, after 3p) EASTERN
  • OMOP-FHIR Terminologies Subgroup New Meeting times
    • Europe / Eastern US:  Wednesdays noon (EASTERN)
    • Western US / So. Pacific: Thursdays 6pm (EASTERN)
  • Tutorial follow-up / recap - Rob Hausam
    • AI: Rob will collect and provide materials used in this last Tutorial for the education library
  • Additional test case bank development - human-readable descriptions started here
    • Outreach Subgroup meeting activity / topic
          HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10JB, RD
  • Proposal for TSMG UTG/THO subcommittee meetings to be at 4p Eastern Weekly
    • Replaces UTG project call
  • Progress made on sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items with a focus on release tracking
    • Reviewed current implementation of release tracking on Jira Dev
    • Testing of release tracking to occur prior to pushing to Prod
  • (Deferred) Main priority for UTG/THO subcommittee should be to review and approve implementation of the UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • TSMG input required to define Oversight Group (OSG) voters for each OSG (i.e. V2, Vocab, Realm-based, etc.)
    • TSC approved, membership of oversight group must be determined
    • Wayne is requesting the TSMG schedule the next release in the February timeframe
    • THO / HTA:  FHIR R5 is coming up in May 2022 - many changes coming as a result of this activity
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Publisher-impacting Change Process
    • Publisher-impacting Change Process
    • Action item for group:  review this document, annotate with comments and questions and invite Lloyd to an upcoming meeting on this specific topic.
    • Action Item for everyone: Scheduled for agenda & vote in next week's meeting (15Dec21)
    • TSC minutes discussing this topic are here
      • (the link above should be confirmed & updated if necessary) process document reflects edits made 29Nov21 (after the TSC meeting)  next step is for the TSMG to provide input
    • There is a TSC meeting next week (December 20)
      • Note to TSC:  please indicate whether a vote is required
      • Wayne indicating this is not an item that requires a vote, in this instance just a review is needed
Internal Code System Identifiers

Workflow process for internal Code System Identifiers and Beyond

Will confer to the UTG Subgroup for stewardship:  Formalize & make part of that documentation set

At-Home Test Report PSS

Publishing terminology to the FHIR Ecosystem

  • Publishing terminology to the FHIR Ecosystem
    • Feedback from members
    • Action item for everyone:  please review this document / proposal & provide feedback by 5Jan22
    • not a request from the TSC
    • Wayne:  will impact the Implementation Division and there will be more feedback then
    • Bryn:  made some suggestions as informed by the Quality Measures work,
    • PJ: there was a good deal of feedback from the terminology service providers / technical community
      • Terminology capabilities resource 
Additional Test Cases for Terminology Services

  • Terminology Server functionality / behavior implementation comparisons
  • Comparing terminology capability statements is currently the only method to achieve this - abstract
  • Another method is required to do actual-hands on comparison(s)
    • including development of additional test cases for Connectathon
  • Peter suggests using the Aegis touchstone tool - requires a license
  • Wayne:  DaVinci has a license, might have an approach we can leverage
  • AI: Davera will create supplementary meeting series to develop . enhance this capability

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2021-12-08 TSMG Agenda and Minutes