Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, December 1, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, November 17, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, November 18, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, November 18, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
M (CTO)X(Peter Jordan)HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)X (Carol Macumber)MD Partners, Inc.
MP (first 60 minutes only)Alphora
MX (Carol Macumber)Apelon, Inc.
MANational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
MX (Davera Gabriel)Intermountain Health
MAHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Canada Health Inforway

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2021-12-08 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Welcome to members and guests
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded


  • Announcements 
    • Holiday Schedule: canceled meetings 12/22, 12/29 
  • Update from TSC
    • (see HTA section re: OIDs)
  • Policy & Process Documentation Repository
    • Requirements
    • Disposition - library approach
    • Each TSMG Subgroup should have their own pages
    • Goals
      • Inventory of current assets
      • identify conflicts, gaps in terminology documentation & guidance
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates
          HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • HTA update - Tomorrow: 12/16 - last meeting of the year
    • addressing the open tickets
  • OIDs requirement across HL7 product
    • Action item for Bryn & RobM: go to TSC... if an external code system doesn't already have an OID assigned, then the HTA would adopt a process to automatically generate the OID as a part of this process and not require external system owners to register and pay for a new OID, as is the process now. The minimal set of metadata will be added to the OID registry to prevent the use of the allocated OID by any other party. 
    • Implication of this would be to consider the future of the OID registry and replication of the information and search capability in the OID registry in the THO. Another Action "in the wings" or implied in this action is cleaning up the OID registry, updating the records to reflect a current source of truth. 
    • at TSC:  they would like for Rob to present that information because it's his role.  Bryn was not able to initiate discussion with the TSC on this issue. 
  • January Connectathon planning  January 10-12, 2022
    • Terminology Services track proposal: **Deprecated** 2022-01 Terminology Services
    • Timeslot(s) for "Ask an Expert" / Office Hours Sessions
      • Rob McClure -HL7 Vocabulary Office Hour (Monday 1/10 TBD)
      • Peter Jordan - FHIR Terminology Server Implementation Office Hour (Tuesday 1/11, 3p CST)
      • Carmela Couderc - Internal Code System Management Office Hour (Wednesday, 1/12, 10a CST)
    • RD: Must check in with Sadana re: any formal education at HL7.  Proposal for not a formal HL7 educational offering, need to develop the content to form a proposal for this kind of a session.
    • BR:  will be running the same Quality Measures scenario in January, can participate in a joint session again 
      • Need to locate a server with the appropriate content to support the QM use case
  • Update from OMOP-FHIR Terminologies Subgroup
    • Meeting cadence to change.  Two Doodle polls: 1) Europe / Eastern US  2) Western US / So. Pacific
  • Tutorial follow-up / recap - Rob Hausam
    • AI: Rob will collect and provide materials used in this last Tutorial for the education library
    • Rob:  all of the education / tutorial materials are already being collected
      • under creative commons licensing 
      • these materials are organized by event, but not by topic right now, would take a little extra work
      • This is the repository Rob has maintained for past educational events / materials
          HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10JB, RD
  • (Jess on leave)
  • Publication of THO v3.0.0 - available now
  • Finalized requirements for Sprint 2 of development items for the UTG workflow to add release tracking

  • (Deferred) Main priority for UTG/THO subcommittee should be to review and approve implementation of the UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • TSMG input required to define Oversight Group (OSG) voters for each OSG (i.e. V2, Vocab, Realm-based, etc.)
    • TSC approved, membership of oversight group must be determined
    • Action item:  need to organize a subcommittee meeting to begin to organize and address the significant work 
      • Jess will reach out to schedule meetings to begin in the new year. Weekly meeting cadence as a start.
    • Wayne is requesting the TSMG schedule the next release in the February timeframe
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Publisher-impacting Change Process
    • Publisher-impacting Change Process
    • Action item for group:  review this document, annotate with comments and questions and invite Lloyd to an upcoming meeting on this specific topic.
    • Action Item for everyone: Scheduled for agenda & vote in next week's meeting (15Dec21)
    • TSC minutes discussing this topic are here
      • (the link above should be confirmed & updated if necessary) process document reflects edits made 29Nov21 (after the TSC meeting)  next step is for the TSMG to provide input
    • There is a TSC meeting next week (December 20)
      • Note to TSC:  please indicate whether a vote is required
      • Wayne indicating this is not an item that requires a vote, in this instance just a review is needed

Publishing terminology to the FHIR Ecosystem

  • Publishing terminology to the FHIR Ecosystem
    • Feedback from members
    • Action item for everyone:  please review this document / proposal & provide feedback by 5Jan22
    • not a request from the TSC
    • Wayne:  will impact the Implementation Division and there will be more feedback then
    • Bryn:  made some suggestions as informed by the Quality Measures work,
    • PJ: there was a good deal of feedback from the terminology service providers / technical community
      • Terminology capabilities resource 
Additional Test Cases for Terminology Services

  • Terminology Server functionality / behavior implementation comparisons
  • Comparing terminology capability statements is currently the only method to achieve this - abstract
  • Another method is required to do actual-hands on comparison(s)
    • including development of additional test cases for Connectathon
  • Peter suggests using the Aegis touchstone tool - requires a license
  • Wayne:  DaVinci has a license, might have an approach we can leverage
  • AI: Davera will create supplementary meeting series to develop . enhance this capability

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2021-12-08 TSMG Agenda and Minutes