Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, December 1, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, November 17, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, November 18, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, November 18, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
M (CTO)X(Reuben Daniels)HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)X (Carol Macumber)MD Partners, Inc.
MPApelon, Inc.
MP at 4pMaxMD
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX (Reuben Daniels)HL7 New Zealand
MAPrecipius b.v.
MX (Davera Gabriel)Intermountain Health
MPHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Canada Health Inforway

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2021-12-01 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

RD moved / BR seconded  passes 10-0-0

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Welcome to members and guests
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded


  • Announcements 
    • Holiday Schedule: canceled meetings 12/22, 12/29 
  • Update from TSC
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates
          HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • HTA update - Meeting next week: 12/16
  • OIDs requirement across HL7 product
    • Currently a requirement for CDA, not FHIR
      • CMS-HCC, CMS-RxHCC ... coding system requirement
    • RD: suggesting that unless a request is made to the HTA for an OID, to NOT make this a requirement as a part of the standard HTA process. There is significant overhead main ting this part of the process. Per this link OIDs can be created and maintained by the THO, thus reducing the overhead for external system registration, especially in light of the THO becoming the official source of truth for identifier registration. 
    • ST:  In Germany we are using OIDs, but strategically are moving more toward FHIR / URI format.  Germany also has their own OID registry, and for those entries tat re not managed centrally by HL7 we have a registry for just German records
    • JH:  in Canada we would most likely use an OID anyway becuase we do not anticipate what version we might use (V2, FHIR).  Within Canada we do jurisdictional registration that doesn't get promoted up to HL7  / realm designation
    • CM:  We have mentioned that THO will become the official source of identifier records.  If this becomes a policy decision, it must go to the TSC for a decision.  There could be a financial impact to HL7 for which we do not have information regarding, nor a strategy for replacing that revenue stream if this is adopted.  
    • Action item for Bryn: go to TSC... if an external code system doesn't already have an OID assigned, then the HTA would adopt a process to automatically generate the OID as a part of this process and not require external system owners to register and pay for a new OID, as is the process now. The minimal set of metadata will be added to the OID registry to prevent the use of the allocated OID by any other party. 
    • Implication of this would be to consider the future of the OID registry and replication of the information and search capability in the OID registry in the THO. Another Action "in the wings" or implied in this action is cleaning up the OID registry, updating the records to reflect a current source of truth. 
  • JIRA tickets 
  • January Connectathon planning  January 10-12, 2022
    • Terminology Services track proposal: **Deprecated** 2022-01 Terminology Services
    • Timeslot(s) for "Ask an Expert" - Rob McClure, Peter Jordan
    • RD: Must check in with Sadana re: any formal education at HL7.  Proposal for not a formal HL7 educational offering, need to develop the content to form a proposal for this kind of a session.
    • BR:  will be running the same Quality Measures scenario in January, can participate in a joint session again 
      • Need to locate a server with the appropriate content to support the QM use case
  • Update from OMOP-FHIR Terminologies Subgroup
    • OMOP-FHIR All Hands Meeting - December 8, 10a Eastern
  • Tutorial follow-up / recap - Rob Hausam
    • Rob will collect and provide materials used in this last Tutorial for the education library
    • Good participation (40+ total), but time ran a little short. 3 sessions - 6 hours total
    • Newer material could use some review, updates
          HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10JB, RD
  • Publication of THO v3.0.0 - available now
  • Defining requirements for Sprint 2 of development items for the UTG workflow to add release tracking
    • Ted and Jess to meet and finalize requirements - ongoing
  • Main priority for UTG/THO subcommittee should be to review and approve implementation of the UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • TSMG input required to define Oversight Group (OSG) voters for each OSG (i.e. V2, Vocab, Realm-based, etc.)
    • TSC approved, membership of oversight group must be determined
    • Action item:  need to organize a subcommittee meeting to begin to organize and address the significant work 
      • Jess will reach out to schedule meetings to begin in the new year. Weekly meeting cadence as a start.
  • UI / layout
    • HL7 code systems: "All" systems navigation page
      • RD:  will inquire with the IG Publisher team as to whether internal / external systems can be automatically identified
    • e.g.: Code systems split out from identifier systems
    • Identifier systems in THO: internal vs external, differing categories
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Publisher-impacting Change Process
    • Publisher-impacting Change Process
    • Action item for group:  review this document, annotate with comments and questions and invite Lloyd to an upcoming meeting on this specific topic.
    • Action Item for everyone: Scheduled for agenda & vote in next week's meeting (15Dec21)
    • TSC minutes discussing this topic are here
      • (the link above should be confirmed & updated if necessary) process document reflects edits made 29Nov21 (after the TSC meeting)  next step is for the TSMG to provide input

Publishing terminology to the FHIR Ecosystem


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2021-12-01 TSMG Agenda and Minutes