Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

The HL7 Terminology Authority is a subcommittee of the Terminology Services Management Group (TSMG). The HTA is responsible for the creation, implementation, and management of HL7 processes involving external terminology management. These processes shall be influenced by input from the Vocabulary Work Group and existing HL7 terminology practices. The activities of the HTA are intended to complement maintenance of terminology that is used by HL7 Protocol Specifications. HTA, via TSMG, shall work with and report to the Technical Steering Committee (TSC) to implement any processes or policies that impact the Working Group.

Purpose

The HTA, as a subcommittee of TSMG, shall serve as a point of contact for any external terminology with which HL7 has established, or in the future shall establish, formal relationships. Working relationships between the HTA and any external organizations requiring a degree of formality shall be governed by Statements of Understanding (SOU) between HL7 International and such organizations as established by the Executive Committee. The HTA works with both the Vocabulary Work Group, responsible for technical terminology structures in HL7 Protocol Specifications, and the HL7 Unified Terminology Governance (UTG) subcommittee of TSMG, responsible for maintenance of HL7's code and identifier system (and related metadata) repository (terminology.HL7.org (THO)).

Scope

The HTA is exclusively focused on terminology used in HL7 Protocol Specifications that is derived from or associated with external terminology systems. Responsibilities include:

  • Develop and maintain quality processes and measures related to HL7 terminology derived from external terminology
  • Provide advice, where needed, on the acceptability of external vocabulary proposed for inclusion in HL7 terminology
  • Maintain relationships with external terminology authorities to ensure legal use of their products.


Leadership

Sub-committee Chair - Caroline Macumber

Sub-committee Co-Chair - Reuben Daniels 

Members - Roel Barelds , Davera Gabriel , Sylvia Thun

Additional Information:   https://www.hl7.org/special/committees/termauth/index.cfm

Contacting the HTA

To contact the HTA, please use the general and open List Serv: termauth@lists.hl7.org

To contact the HTA chairs: termauth-cc@lists.hl7.org


External Terminology Related Requests:

To review the process for validating and/or requesting an external code system or identifier system IDENTIFIER (e.g., URL for use in FHIR), go here

To review the process for requesting new CONTENT in an external terminology (e.g., new concept in SNOMED), go here


HTA Open Tasks

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
Davera GabrielTeleconference 2021-11-03
  • TBA


WGM (virtual) September 2021 Minutes
  • 2-Aug-2020: Julie James check Jira configuration for HTA "vote" on consensus review in UTG
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-09-16
  •  02-Sept 2020: Julie Jamesto review core princple definition of "code system", in particular its inclusion of "grammar only"/syntaxes similar to UCUM as formal code systems
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-09-16
  • HTA to include verbiage on the LOINC External Terminology page for users to note the limitation on third party content Julie James


Julie JamesWGM (virtual) September 2020 Minutes
  •  02-Sept 2020: Julie Jamesto review core princple definition of "code system", in particular its inclusion of "grammar only"/syntaxes similar to UCUM as formal code systems
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-09-02
  • 22-Jul-2020: Sheila Abner to complete information in NHSN HSLOC stub.
Sheila AbnerTeleconference 2020-09-02
  • 2-Aug-2020: Julie James check Jira configuration for HTA "vote" on consensus review in UTG
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-09-02
  • 19-Aug-2020: NCI-Thesaurus: Julie Jameswill update the HTA pages in relation to NCT Metathesaurus.
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-09-02
  • 19-Aug-2020: NCI-Thesaurus: Julie Jameswill update the HTA pages in relation to NCT Metathesaurus.
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-08-19
  • 22-Jul-2020: Sheila Abner to complete information in NHSN HSLOC stub.
Sheila AbnerTeleconference 2020-08-19
  • 2-Aug-2020: Julie James check Jira configuration for HTA "vote" on consensus review in UTG
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-08-19
  • 2-Aug-2020: Julie James check Jira configuration for HTA "vote" on consensus review in UTG
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-08-05
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-08-05
  • 22-Jul-2020: Sheila Abner to complete information in NHSN HSLOC stub.
Sheila AbnerTeleconference 2020-08-05
  • 22-Jul-2020: Julie James to contact PSS group (possibly PIC) regarding PSS changes.
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-07-22
  • 22-Jul-2020: Julie Jamesto respond to the call to Karyn v H on behalf of the group managing the GOM (PIC) and the executive committee regarding SOUs.
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-07-22
  • 22-Jul-2020: Julie James Julie will arrange the HTA meetings.
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-07-22
  • 22-Jul-2020: Sheila Abner to complete information in NHSN HSLOC stub.
Sheila AbnerTeleconference 2020-07-22
  • Julie James add the BCP conversation on whether syntactical specifcations should be represented as code systems (e.g., BCP 47, UCUM...)
Julie JamesTeleconference 2020-06-10

  • No labels