Meeting Information

Attendee Pass: HTAMeet




Attendee type:

H - HTA Member

O - observer

L - liaison


P - present

A - Apologies



HPJulie JamesBlue Wave Informatics LLP

Roel Barelds

Precipius b.v.

HPSusan MatneyIntermountain Health
Sylvia ThunHL7 Germany
HPCarol MacumberClinical Architecture
HPReuben DanielsSaludax
HPDavera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Wayne Kubick


LPSuzy RoySNOMED International
OPAndrea MacLeanCanada Health Infoway
LPJessica BotaUTG/Apelon
Ted KleinKlein Consulting / HL7 UTG / Vocabulary WG CoChair
LPRob HausamVocabulary WG CoChair
Mareike PrzysuchaHL7 Germany
LPRob McClureUS Realm Liaison
Sheila AbnerCDC NHSN
Jenny Couse

National Center for Health Statistics

Minutes of previous teleconference (2021-06-09) 

Motion to accept RB and SM seconded;  

Agenda Topics

Agenda Outline

Agenda Item


Meeting Minutes from Discussion



TC Minutes Approval


Quorum was met

Motion to approve Minutes:

RB moves, SM seconds: Motion 5-0-0

TopicNew PSSContinuous

Check here:

  1. PSS-1808 - Rob H is involved in this and although it is terminology-heavy he will be making sure external terminology is correctly used and referenced.

External SDO and Code System Issues 


IMO terminology - check if in THO already; if not, tag Jess on the page

Update on WHO - waiting for a response from Grahame

SNOMED HL7 (IPS) SNOMED CT free set - process running as we would expect:

Waiting for the update and analysis of the changes from the update of the July 2021 International Edition. 

The outline process is as follows: 

1 - The SNOMED International content team will reconcile the new updates to the HL7 free set to the July 2021 International Edition - 5, July 2020.  

2 - Toni from the SI content team will reach out to you to review any new requested content for this cycle that has been included and details of any inactivations along with potential replacements. We would ask that you provide feedback between 5 - 18 July.

3 - Based on your feedback, the freeset will be created and you will be notified.

As a reminder, we have confirmed that the HL7 (IPS) SNOMED CT free set will be part of the release of the Global Patient Set (GPS), in September 2021.

MONDO - is almost complete; HPO is complete (smile)

TopicHL7 Terminology Services GroupOngoingReuben 
Rob M

Group met this week (2 hour meeting); discussed key issues - the name, representation of management groups on TSG, funding - cannot commit to guarantee to provide funding, but is open to requests from TSG for resources, under the direction of the CTO.  Suggestion/option is to have "perspectives" on the standards that the management groups represent into the TSG.  Those who had previously expressed reservations are now more supportive, giving broad agreement that TSG needs to happen

Reuben's slides have been put into a "business case" structure and TSC representative will work with Reuben to make this into a formal proposal for TSC.  (US Core PM has been appointed - Gaye; it may be an assistant could also function as the resource needed for TSG, which would also align with issues around management of US value sets)

TSG "representation": TSG needs specialised expertise, including infrastructure (FHIR-I etc.) and pool of folk to participate is small. 

Current sense is that HTA will continue, at least for the short term.  RobMcC: HTA could become a Task Force within TSG as we consolidate governance/management/methodology around the TSG.  NB: no opposition to the sense that TSG could set policy
First task of TSG is to define the "service catalogue" along with ToR; so these things can be worked on once the group is established.  The HTA can be instrumental in supporting this

TopicHTA in CoChair HandbookNewJulie
TopicUTG/THO UpdateContinuousJess and Reuben

Preference would be to use existing mechanisms to reference the "value set" intensionally but need to understand if the RefSetID is part of the international edition, 

HTA will continue this discussion next meeting.

TopicUpdated CS Identifier process guidanceNewCarol

Carmela has offered to improve upon the current document process for external stakeholder engagement to procure CS identifiers.

The draft is located here: Validating and Requesting Identifiers for External Code Systems and Identifier Systems

HTA members and observers are asked to review the drafted text, directly edit where changes are needed and use the comment functionality to ask additional questions. We will review again (and hopefully approve on the next HTA call, which will be at the WGM).

TopicAny Other BusinessContinuousJulie


AdjournmentMeeting adjournedN/AJulie

Call adjourned at 21.05 BST

Action Items

  • No labels