Meeting Information

Attendee Pass: HTAMeet

Chair:  Caroline Macumber



Attendee type:

H - HTA Member

O - observer

L - liaison


P - present

A - Apologies



HPJulie JamesBlue Wave Informatics LLP

Roel Barelds

Precipius b.v.

HASusan MatneyIntermountain Health
HPSylvia ThunHL7 Germany
HPCarol MacumberClinical Architecture
HPReuben DanielsSaludax
HPDavera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Wayne Kubick


Suzy RoySNOMED International
OPAndrea MacLeanCanada Health Infoway
LPJessica BotaUTG/Apelon
Ted KleinKlein Consulting / HL7 UTG / Vocabulary WG CoChair
Swapna AbhyankarRegenstrief Institute
OPMareike PrzysuchaHL7 Germany
LPRob McClureUS Realm Liaison
Sheila AbnerCDC NHSN
OPJenny Couse

National Center for Health Statistics

Minutes of (V)WGM Meeting (2021-05-24) 

Motion to accept DG and RB seconded;   WGM (virtual) May 2021 Minutes

Agenda Topics

Agenda Outline

Agenda Item


Meeting Minutes from Discussion



WGM Minutes Approval


Quorum was met

Motion to approve Minutes:

DG moves, RB seconds: Motion 5-0-0

TopicNew PSSContinuous

External SDO and Code System Issues 


MONDO / HPO record updates... completed soon! Clinical Genomics WG will be using these. HTA-11 - Getting issue details... STATUS
Nursing terminologies ICF (owned by WHO) - an international URL is needed, not a Dutch URL.  WHO has a meeting with GG to organise the canonical URLs; also ENP and LEP.  This is another example of the "problem statement" of the muddle of terminology in HL7.  ([Note, ICPC has the same issue in the list of FHIR URLs)

Steps: communicate with GG (copied TSC) to find out what his plan is.  Suggest that HTA "runs its process" to communicate with WHO to ask if can be declared as the canonical URL for ICF - Action Julie

Mareike is in contact with LEP and in discussion to get a URL.  For ENP, this is not a priority at the moment.

Sylvie and Roel to communicate together to see if they can progress something with ICPC also.

TopicHL7 Terminology Services GroupOngoing

Discussion with Austin after the WGM; Austin had received the email from the HTA summarising our position for moving forward.

The only path forward for the current process is to (re)convene a group (AK, MP, WK, DP, RMcC, RD, PK) that is responsible for developing a formal proposal for the HTSG from the TSC to the Board.  

The HTSG could not be seen as "an accelerator" but HL7 has been expansive in approaching other challenges, like FHIR implementation and a similar expansiveness needs to happen for this challenge, to create a path to get this to happen.

We express our total support and appreciation for Reuben in this group.

TopicUTG/THO UpdateContinuousJess and Reuben

Main priorities - implementing changes to get the THO as single source of terminology content.

This is still in draft and there are several changes which will be implemented in the coming days to bring this into line with agreed decisions.  The only external code systems that will be in THO will be those with HTA endorsed metadata.  

TopicUpdated CS Identifier process guidanceNewCarol

Carmela has offered to improve upon the current document process for external stakeholder engagement to procure CS identifiers.

The draft is located here: Validating and Requesting Identifiers for External Code Systems and Identifier Systems

HTA members and observers are asked to review the drafted text, directly edit where changes are needed and use the comment functionality to ask additional questions. We will review again (and hopefully approve on the next HTA call, which will be at the WGM).

TopicAny Other BusinessContinuousJulie


AdjournmentMeeting adjournedN/AJulie

Call adjourned at 21.02 BST

Action Items

  • No labels