Chair:  @ Julie James

Scribe: @ Julie James

For the 21st January 2020 TC, please note: there are issues with the FCC dial in, please use VOIP on FCC only.  If there are issues, please ping Julie in advance


Attendee type:

H - HTA Member

O - observer

L - liaison


P - present

A - Apologies



HPJulie JamesBlue Wave Informatics LLP

Roel Barelds

ICT Group

HPSusan MatneyIntermountain Health
HPSylvia ThunHL7 Germany
HACarol MacumberApelon Inc.
HPReuben DanielsSaludax
HADavera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Wayne Kubick


Jane MillarSNOMED International
OPAndrea MacLeanCanada Health Infoway
Soraya AssarMotive Medical Intelligence
Rob McClureMD Partners

Minutes of Teleconference 2019-01-07

Motion to accept proposed SM, seconded RB; carried 2:0:0

Agenda Topics

Agenda Outline

Agenda Item

Meeting Minutes from Discussion



Minutes Approval

Quorum is met

Motion to approve Minutes proposed and accepted

ManagementWGM Agenda

WGM February 2020 Minutes

Confirm if any SNOMED staff will be in attendance - if so, please report.  Follow up: Suzy R will be present and happy to give a report

Susan also to ask if someone from LOINC would also attend to give an update, especially around FHIR services.  Follow up: Sara will be present and will give a report

Julie to fill out detail on the Agenda.
Sylvia will be at the Australia WGM

TopicURLs for External Code Systems
  • Final Review of Initial Request Letter
    • Everyone to do their review of this 
  • Draft Collaborative Follow-up - Davera - draft to review 20200121 please
  • Draft Follow-up letter templates 

Have reviewed Wayne's comment; we agree but would like more information from HQ about their criteria for needing an SOU.

From Andrea: Is reality such that rather than asking a code system provider to produce a URL first, we could change our suggested process such that we offer "here is the URL" approach more like in the follow up letter.  We do want to avoid upsetting code system providers by pushing too far.

We need to discuss this further at the F2F - balance of "getting the job done" against "deskilling the community (even more)".

Topic Code system statement for specifications

See updated policy at General policy on the use of external code systems in HL7 standards

To do: Close out the code system statement and send to FMG

Julie James Contacted Grahame and FMG, HTA to provide draft text to include in IG publishing process

TopicISO Codes  - update

STILL OPEN: Other ISO standards to check:
ISO 11073 Nomenclature for Personal Medical Device Communication - Julie has had a response from Melvin Reynolds - 

JMJ - to put the response from Melvin on the HTA External Code Systems section DONE

FHIR also uses the IANA Time Zones

Davera will look up more information about BCP-47 (a document authored by the IETF trust) for language codes in the US Core FHIR IG.  Davera will check if this is actually a "nested reference" and is actually a syntax using ISO codes

TopicVocab Facilitator Engagement

How to get vocab facilitators engaged and how to get project teams to engage with their vocab facilitator - work on with the Vocab WG

Slot at Co-Chair Dinner requested; no response yet received,  May need to chase.  SNOMED Content Requests need to be in by March 15 - remind folk of this.  Co-chair dinner slot has been confirmed, as has TSC meeting (Mon Q5)

TopicUTG Engagement; Update from Vocab

How will UTG engage to bridge the gap, especially as the IG publisher and UTG become more integrated (still a way off) 

A lot of focus on building the UTG and getting it working

TopicFHIR Tracker Items

 [#25207] Summary: Update Licence Note for Value Sets based on SNOMED GPS

Still needs to craft a new statement to use in the IPS Specification (and others) Caroline Macumber

AdjournmentMeeting adjourned

At 22.00 hours UTC

Action Items

  • No labels