Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:  Julie James

Scribe: Julie James


Attendees:


Attendee type:

H - HTA Member

O - observer

L - liaison

Presence:

P - present

A - Apologies


Name

Affiliation

H

Present

Heather Grain

Global eHealth Collaborative

H

Present

Rob McClure

MD Partners

H

Present

Jean Narcisi

American Dental Association

H

Present

Julie James

Blue Wave Informatics LLP

H

Present

Roel Barelds

ICT Group

HPresentSusan MatneyIntermountain Health
HApologiesSylvia ThunHL7 Germany

L


Wayne Kubick

HL7 (CTO)

L


Robert Hausam

Vocabulary Co-chair

L


Jane Millar

SNOMED International



















Minutes of TC 2019-02-14 Approval as on Confluence

Motion for acceptance of the Minutes of the previous TC was proposed by RB and seconded by JN; the motion was carried: For 4; Abstain: 0 Against 0

Agenda Topics

Agenda Outline

Agenda Item

Minutes from Discussion

ManagementMeeting timingFor the next call, 31 March 2019, when the rest of the world has not yet changed to summer time, we will meet at 21.00 UTC (5pm EST)
TopicSNOMED CT IPS Free Subset

See email thread from Florent Desgrippes, ASIP Santé

JMJ has responded to ASIP Santé separately over the French use of SNOMED in collaboration with Jane M.

RMcC: Use of SNOMED content in any standard is SNOMED's responsibility.  As HTA, we have already worked out with SI how to use S-CT in standards development.

TopicCharacteristics of Realm Transferable Standards Specifications

Characteristics of Realm Transferable Standards Specifications  SGB and ArB

http://confluence.hl7.org:8090/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=40740393#content/view/40740393

Developing guidance for the criteria for something targeted as a universal standard, compared to what should be considered a realm-specific (for SGB/ArB).

For terminology binding, an exemplar value set that is actually realm specific is "OK"in a universal standard or IG; this may be using content from a code system that some realms cannot use, either because the content is inappropriate or because it is under license. 
But for actual implementation in a realm, there must be a realm specific IG where the value set is completely locked down  

Suggest that HTA send this guidance to the ArB for their draft and request that, if the PSS goes forward to a project with deliverables, that they ask HTA for guidance/direction on the use of terminology artifacts in the universal realm.

JMJ to contact ArB.

TopicGeneral policy on the use of external code systems

The group reviewed the content below:

  1. Where ever possible HL7 artifacts that reference coded content should use externally managed, established, curated concepts made available as a versioned code system (or can be a subset of said code system) that is
    1. Follows good vocabulary practices as defined by HL7 e.g.
      1. Have definitions for each concept and the relationships it uses
      2. Uses meaningless identifiers
      3. Manages synonymy
    2. Under the curation of an established organization that is committed to maintaining the code system content, i.e. a terminology authority (see also ISO/TR 12309:2009 
      Health informatics -- Guidelines for terminology development organizations) and particularly
      1. Either provide, or work with HL7 to establish an identifier for the code system
      2. Provide a current human contact for the content and a link to a source for the content
    3. Has established processes for content improvement
    4. Has straightforward licensing requirements
    5. Provides easy access to the code system content, either directly or through shared terminology services, including having the current version available to support publishing and maintenance of those published artifacts
    6. Is well established for use to describe the concepts in question (i.e. well established for use in the context of the concept domain)
    7. If alternatives are available, code systems that have low or no cost for use are preferable
  2. Any publication or draft HL7 artifact that references an external code system must:
    1. Clearly identify the external content:
      1. as governed by IP restrictions beyond those of HL7 and
      2. that any use of the content beyond review of the HL7 artifact for implementation requires the implementer adhere to the IP requirements of the owning organization.
    2. Provide a web-link to the licensing information for the content and/or provide a short description of the requirements
    3. References the code system version when the artifact is published, and whether the version for use is important for the artifact


The above will be reviewed again with the plan to publish after this call

Proposal to publish on Confluence: Proposed RB, seconded RMcC; For 4; Abstain: 0 Against 0

JMJ to ask HQ to send out notification to cochair list


Note: "good vocabulary practices as defined by HL7" appear not to be currently documented; this may be a future task for the HTA/Vocab WG
TopicHL7 Terminology Portal 

Previous discussion: The portal was created by HQ. The wording needs a lot of work, and the content at present is entirely focused on SNOMED, or alternatively accept this is only about SNOMED and change the title of the portal.

http://www.hl7.org/portal/index.cfm?ref=common

DIscussion: HTA - we don't want this to only be SNOMED.  However, this page content as it is could be used as a landing page for the SNOMED part of the whole portal.

We can start to use our page on Confluence to collate the content we want, then give that to HQ to update; see: External Terminologies - Information
Focus on those things that are being widely used in universal IGs and which can be used internationally wherever possible.  We could also have a separate list of realm specific code systems that are frequently referenced (e.g. RxNorm).  

Also, point to mapping between code systems but must document the use case(s) for the mapping

HQ did write to WHO regarding licensing etc.; did not have a response so recontacted, with formal statement that "unless we hear" we assume that the information we provide to our community about the code system is OK  

We will work through 1-2 per meeting (smile)

TopicNew S-I Collaboration Agreement - to be carried forward to next meeting

Review of the agreement; any changes to be made

http://www.hl7.org/documentcenter/public_temp_33BC7CE3-1C23-BA17-0C8EB47075B9F62D/mou/IHTSDO_CharterAgreement.pdf

TopicPublication of Policy on Retired or Legacy HL7 Code Systems - to be carried forward to next meeting

email from 20190206 19.41 UTC

1) HTA - Communicate the policy to TSC, begin conversations on how the policy can be enforced

2) HTA – Confirm where the policy should permanently live with necessary HL7 parties

Policy on use of Retired or Legacy HL7 Code Systems

ManagementUpdate on HTA Confluence site tidy up

Documents to be done next - outstanding action for JMJ

  • No labels