Meeting Coordinates Teleconference (see details on Meeting page)
H - HTA Member
O - observer
L - liaison
P - present
A - Apologies
N - not present without apologies
Global eHealth Collaborative
American Dental Association
National Library of Medicine/IHTSDO
|L||Russell Hamm||Vocabulary Co-Chair|
Quorum Requirements Met (3):
Minutes of Previous Meeting
Minutes of the face to face meeting Baltimore 30th September 2019
Review of UTG requirements Documentation (TK)
Ted to have sent link and all members
Free Subset and SNOMED
Request from Vocabulary:
The Vocabulary Work Group received a request from Canada Health Infoway for guidance from HL7 on the use of retired or legacy code systems. In particular, the requestor is looking for a statement from HL7 International about past decisions that have already been made regarding retired code systems (i.e, a statement that advises net new implementers of vocabulary to "steer clear" of retired HL7 code systems), but are not well known or documented.T
The topic was discussed at the September WGM and many questions were raised around the process by which code systems are retired, how long of an advance notification will be given to implementers, preventing binding within IGs to retired Code Systems etc. Both the requestor and the HL7 Vocabulary WG understand there is additional work required to develop policies and procedures related to many of the issues raised.
However, in the interest of addressing the original request for a statement regarding continued use, with help from the requestor, the HL7 Vocabulary Work Group has authored a draft policy and made it available via HL7 confluence.
The draft text was approved by the Vocabulary working group on December 5th with the understanding that we would seek further clarification from the HTA on two items:
1) Does the Vocabulary Work Group need approval from any other groups with HL7 (including HTA) to publish such a policy
2) Where is the most appropriate place for this policy to be published. As shown on the confluence page, additional vocab policies are currently published via confluence.
No activity this call
Call Schedule: . Heather Grain to schedule the calls fortnightly continuing the current schedule. - Done
Not planned for discussion this call
Policy for publishing value set definitions referencing external terminologies (current and future) (Ted)
When a value set definition refers to external terminologies without listing the content we need to:
- Ensure licensing requirements for use is appropriately attributed and defined
- When value set definitions are published there is a need to automatically reference the page of external terminologies and licensing links for use.
- Every published document will include that information.
- Include in this policy and process in the external terminology web page.
1 Appendix: Known issues and Watch Items
- LOINC survey instrument attribution – attribution information included in web and publishing guidance (listed above).
- Additional issues associated with publishing for HTA.
- The way value set definitions are persisted in the families do not have populated content about the source/owner. This field is often not populated at the moment.
7/12/17 steward is included – but need to consider the owner (who is responsible for the value set). There is a need to indicate the purpose or scope of the value set content. This is a Vocabulary issue rather than HTA.
Additionally, tooling in the MIF does not permit publication of the steward of the value set. It is held in the database, but the tooling is not captured for V3 value sets. This is being addressed in the UTG. V2 has the steward and owner is algorithmic according to the chapter the content is used in, but where tables are used in multiple chapters. Not for further discussion in HTA as Vocabulary will work on these issues
- Inclusion of maps in publications.
1.3 FHIR content request updates
Awaiting information from Grahame G about how FHIR will update terminology resources to match the international release.
1.4 policy statement on SCT allowed binding strengths in FHIR for clarification (Ted)
On hold at the moment until other processes are determined more clearly.
Ted suggested this be moved to the watch list. We need to determine semantic implications of binding strength of expansions which are subject to profiles. This issue is not restricted to FHIR.
1.5 External Web Page Content
Reference to HTA – link - Done.
Link to the document on external vocabularies (policy document) – to be submitted to TSC for their endorsement.
List of terminology products and organizations with whom we have agreements:
American Dental Association SNODENT
List of known external terminology products and organizations used in HL7 products:
Others….., including content from V2 tables 396 (external code systems used in V2 standards), link to V3/CDA and FHIR external terminology pages. These are known terminologies and this information is known to be incomplete and less than what is required.
External content should be brought through Harmonization. The Harmonization and balloting process will be the trigger updates to the information provided on this page. If these requests, go through harmonization the HTA can be informed and take on the liaison and organization of licensing agreements. Working Groups are not empowered to make such arrangements.
The tooling below aims to provide a quick reference to find tooling and information about external terminologies used in HL7 standards. This provides a traceable process to assist standards users.
Develop a table of information about each code system including:
- Formal name of the code system
- Short name or abbreviation of the code system
- Owner of the code system
- Technical identifier/s of the code system
- Link to information about the code system – this should contain information about how to obtain the content.
- IP information and Licensing - link
- HL7 users of this information – e.g. HL7 product use link?
- Information current as at
Write a comment…