Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: August 28,  2023

Time: 3PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Jose Costa Teixeira, Hans Buitendijk, David Barwin, Paul Ashford, John Hatem, Donna Pertel, James Allain, John Rhoads, Karen Moniz, Kathy Walsh, Rob Hausam, Marti Velezis

Co-chair:  Hans Buitendijk

Scribe: Hans Buitendijk

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 


  • Administrative 
  • Status on JIRA Tickets
  • AOB
  • Next Meeting


HCP_Backlog - FOR REVIEW (includes Nutrition resources)

HCP_Ballot Related - JIRA that need to be completed by R5 (many of these are related to Normative content)

HCP_Work In Progress - Items that need to be updated in the build and/or QA for completion

Module Pages

The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 


Upcoming Topics/Due Dates

September 4No meeting - US holiday
September 11Working Group Meeting
September 18Re-cap WGM
September 25Resume JIRA work

Action Items

Instructions: Type your task here, using "@" to assign to a user and "//" to select a due date

Action Item


  • Administrative
    • Next week labor day - no meeting
    • Week after HL7 WGM - no meeting
    • September 18 - re-cap WGM
    • September 25 - resume JIRAs and work items
  • JIRA tickets
    • BDP 
      • Service Request tickets that relevant to the current BDP backlog

        • Reference:
        • SupplyDelivery should be profiled (one above) for shipped and received; and an additional elements to described
        • Need to show direct linkage between what is requested, shipped and received.
        • We will resume the discussion next time and work on how this should look to reconcile concerns raised in the JIRA ticket for accounting for all products shipped and received.
        • Suggestion to not mix the dispatch and the receipt/reconciliation in one SupplyDelivery resource, rather to have two resources SupplyDispatch and SupplyReceipt.
        • How does that sync with pharmacy?  Also noting that "dispense" is a different concept than "shipping" as "dispense" does not involve the physical movement that a "shipment" would help manage.
        • We clarified that MedicationDispense is also just focused on "assigned to a patient" and any transportation would be a separate from the dispense.
        • Option 1:
          • Keep SupplyDelivery and add .stage(dispatch|receipt), enhance status for appropriate values for each stage and add a reference from receipt to dispatch.
        • Option 2:
          • Split SupplyDelivery into SupplyDispatch and SupplyReceipt and include SupplyDispatch a reference to SupplyReceipt.  Possibly remove an attribute that is not applicable to the resource at hand.
        • Paul and John to prep a list on attributes that are applicable for Receipt vs. Dispatch based on which we can then determine whether that points to using a single resource with two stages, or two resources.
        • Will continue the discussion in two weeks or as soon as ready thereafter.
      • Reviewed the statement "assigned to a specific patient" as it appears to be missing a level of clearance and/or authorization that this can be dispensed. 
        • One argument is that the original order (ServiceRequest) provides the authorization is there (akin to MedicationRequest).
        • Another argument is that there be an explicit clearance/authorization on the dispense as the order may be for "a red blood cell", but the dispense is about "this red blood cell" that must have been cleared/authorized to be appropriate for the specific patient.  All BDP follow that same pattern.
        • Perhaps to define "the dispensed product" (represented by BDPDispense) is "the product approved and assigned to a specific patient (usually in response to a service request)."  Then the verb "dispense" would be "approve and assign to a specific patient".  Note that the approval could have been in place as part of the originating service request, or as part of the dispense process because the service request was not explicit enough, but in either case the key is that at the time of completing the dispense any necessary approvals must be there.
        • Need to confirm that the statuses reflect that upon a certain status this definition is fully in effect.  Currently, the BDPDispense.status implies the product can be "dispensed" before approval for release.

    • Other ServiceRequest tickets:
      • FHIR-34194 -Add businessEvent extension
      • FHIR-34205 -Add ServiceRequest.status values
        • Has disposition – more discussion needed?
        • Does it need larger review ?  If yes -- suggest adding it to block vote (if yes - add grouping = "OO-FHIR-Block-Vote" and "August-2023"?
      • FHIR-34207 -Add attribute to document confirmation
        • Has disposition – more discussion needed? 
        • Does it need larger review ?  If yes -- suggest adding it to block vote (if yes - add grouping = "OO-FHIR-Block-Vote" and "August-2023"?
      • FHIR-31589 -Clarify ServiceRequest.supportingInfo can't be 'questions'
    • Device
      • FHIR-41597 -codeableReferences in DeviceDefinition missing valueset bindings
      • FHIR-40289 -Solve device conformance to standard "options"
    • Procedure (from Pt Care)
      • FHIR-33390

Any follow-up from: 

  • Need to work with DEV group on the following: 
    • FHIR-40291 -Update the device specification example valueset to cover additional uses
    • FHIR-41413 - Need to bring to DEV
        • Recommendation is to Remove Patient and RelatedPerson if DEV is ok with that resolution
        • If so - this could be a new JIRA

From the Chat
David Barwin to Everyone (Aug 28, 2023, 3:03 PM)
Can we add this to BDP agenda
Jose Costa Teixeira to Everyone (Aug 28, 2023, 3:54 PM)
John Hatem to Everyone (Aug 28, 2023, 3:54 PM)
I need to prepare for my next call.  Will follow the work.  John


Note these are issues that we did not have time to discuss, or already have been discussed, but may not be ready for disposition (i.e., waiting for input or additional work needs to be completed).


  • TBD

  • FHIR-32756 - request-insurance extension needs more context given in the description
  • Waiting for Jose Costa-Teixeira  to respond to comments; this should be included in a future call (August 8 or 15)
  • FHIR-19516 - Substantive workflow changes for OO resources
  • Needs to be assigned (Status = Resolved Change Required)
  • TBD

  • TBD


  • FHIR-40384
    • Need to distinguish device-created from transcribed observations
    • General sense that this is a valuable attribute, whether as extension or core element.
    • Rather than taking one element at a time, would like to address together with other device-observation attributes.
    • Also need to consider whether we need to distinguish electronic without user verification/acceptance or with, which is not the same as fully transcribed.
  • FHIR-40335 
    • Clarify use of Observation.subject, .device, and .focus for devices
    • To be discussed with Device Module
  • Device/Device Definition Mapping 
  • Pending additional review
  • FHIR-31750 - Complement Valueset-identifier-type for Device identifiers 

  • Approved; Updating UP-232
  • Examples
  • Search Parameters
  • Mappings (TBD)
  • Need to complete work on Device Definition to make it consistent with or address variations from Device resource
  • TBD


  • FHIR-26429  - Consider adding extension to allow fuzzy timing for DeviceRequest.occurrence

  • Note - Robert Hausam there is an outstanding question in comments for you - also see under Service Request.

  • Need update from OO on FHIR

  • FHIR-26948 - Create examples for prosthetics (e.g. glasses, lenses) in DeviceRequest; Comment added for Jose - Pending
  • See topic below (Device Request and VisionPrescription)
  • Device Request and VisionPrescription (see below)

  • FHIR-11217
    • Amendment: Address where VisionPrescription should be referenced in DeviceRequest in a separate JIRA ticket; which will expand the discussion around custom devices
    • Action: In HCP we will work through the wording.
  • Discussed at May 2023 WGM
  • Need to work on this in committee
  • Will be kept open until UDI IG has addressed these and can confirm it covers it.
  • FHIR-34491 - Add statusReason in ServiceRequest

  • FHIR-40631
    • Some OO requests need basedOn to RequestOrchestration
    • NutritionOrder (was NutritionRequest), ServiceRequest (Diagnostic/Procedure/ReferralRequest), VisionPrescription

  • FHIR-38818 - Clarify SupplyDelivery for shipment vs reception

Product Pattern
  • Need Jose Costa-Teixeira and Carl Leitner on the call.
  • Is there a benefit to have definition for BDP, in blood bank with ordering is one (and maybe only example).