ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

OO Main - Meeting Information

Meeting Details

Date: August 10 2023

Time: 1 - 2PM ET


Meeting Status

Chair: Hans Buitendijk

Scribe: Hans Buitendijk/Marti Velezis

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 

OO Events 


OO Calls Next 7 Days (check if happening)

  • Catalog
  • LAB
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Specimen
  • HCP
  • LIVD (8/15, 8/22)
  • OO on FHIR (8/29)
  • Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • IHE SDC/eCC on FHIR 

  • Nutrition  - every 4th of Month
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Main Call

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates

Sep 2023 Connectathon / Ballot / WGM
WGM Agenda postedAug 11, 2023
WGM Minutes postedSep 29, 2023
Other Deadlines
TSC Representative ElectionJuly 31, 2023
2024 Jan Connectathon and Ballot
TSC Approved PSS deadlineAug 11, 2023
FHIR IG proposals to FMGOct 22, 2023
NIB deadlineNov 11, 2023
FHIR Connectathon Track Proposal dueNov 17, 2023
FHIR Core substantive Content freezeDec 5, 2023
Prior ballot recon dueDec 3, 2023
Ballot FHIR IG approval 
Final ballot content deadlineDec 17, 2023
WGM Agenda posted
WGM Minutes posted
DateUpcoming Agenda Topics
TBDNeed to check Block Vote readiness for July JIRA tickets


(Names of people present are BOLDED)



Ralf HerzogRoche
Rob HausamHausam Consulting
JD NolenMercy Children's Hospital
Hans BuitendijkOracle
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC / APHL
Yanick GaudetStar Global 
Joellen Carter
Andrea PitkusUW
Marti VelezisSonrisa / FDA
Craig NewmanAltarum
Dan RutzEpic
Jose Costa Teixeira
Christopher HarrisonQuest Diagnostics
Bob DieterleEnable Care
Kathy WalshLabcorp
Lorraine ConstableConstable Consulting
Elliot SilverResMed
Donna Pertel
Susan DownerJMC / APHL
Patrick Loyd
Matt Elrod
Dave HillMitre
Maria Moen
Sandy JonesCDC
Rahul AgarwalMedplum

Agenda and Notes:


Approve Minutes

  • 2023-08-03 Main - Motion to approve as updated Kathy Walsh, Marti Velezis

    • Against: 0; Abstain: 0; In Favor: 13

OO Project Proposal Triage 

  • Reviewed the list, but believe some are old and others are missing.

  • Next week to catch-up on latest submissions.

Workgroup Dashboard

  • Request from Marc Duteau:

    • HL7 initiated a project to automate the creation of JIRA dashboards for work groups, IGs, accelerators, and end users.
      Since co-chairs are some of the main users of dashboards like these, we wanted to make sure we got your input.
      If you have a dashboard you’ve made or used that you think is a great example of one of those categories or even
      if you just have some features you’d like to see in these automated dashboards please let me know at by August 19th.

  • Agreed that Marti will forward the ones she created for OO and others, particularly highlighting the different variants for different purposes/areas of focus.  Thank you!!!!

Today's topics:

OO WGM 202309 - Agenda - Orders & Observations - Confluence (

  • PH meeting on Tues Q2 – Craig will tell us if that does NOT work – OO can host – on agenda

  • Co-Chairs to add their availability

  • Wed Q4 for vocab will talk Gender Harmony, so send reps (Lorraine) - on agenda

  • Added these topics as follows:

    • Tue Q2 – add topics to PH joint

    • CIMI as a WG discussion – if they dissolve, then we need to find places in the domain WGs for their work

    • LabOrder model – apply resolutions to the material – Fri Q2

    • Thu Q4 with CIMI – ballot recon for lab model IG

  • Ralf may not be able to attend ☹

  • Need to work with FHIR-I or Vocab on the following: 

    • FHIR-40437 - Link missing -  Note this is the expansion list

    • Robert Hausam will be checking it out to see where it should land.

FHIR JIRAs (link to below)

  • JIRA for QA fixes for Catalog IG. JD will make fixes, just needs a vote: FHIR-41729 - Fixes for final QA TRIAGED

    • See JIRA
    • Motion to find persuasive with modifications
      • Marti Velezis / Lorraine Constable: 13-0-1
    • Assigned to JD Nolen
    • Will QA on Catalog call tomorrow.
  • Updated status 

    • Reviewed status – need to work on making progress on JIRAs via block votes if we cannot make progress during WGM
    • Added times to WGM Agenda to do work on backlog - initially added to those quarters without topics yet, but also will be added where we anticipate extra time available.
  • Pulled Block Vote JIRAs from May/June 2023 - did not discuss - and will add to the WGM agenda if we do not get to it before then.

Update on FHIR Tracker related to Family/Household attributes



  • See for the question/issue

  • qualifiedInterval – no longer exist – was changed in R5 to observationDefinition.qualifiedValue and further advanced

  • It seems that context provides codes situations, condition is string to capture anything else

  • Created FHIR-41671 to:

    • add more examples

      • for reference range based on sex and age

      • for range category = absolute range of a device

    • need to fix qualifiedValue.gender – that should be using sex parameter for clinical use: qualifiedValue.SPCU

  • Added a comment explaining the above and asking what they are trying to achieve

  • Also need to provide guidance/clarity on how either qualifiedInterval (R4) or qualifiedValue (R6) identifies the values that are therefore valid for Observation.interpretation and Observation.component.interpretation
    • Add to the Lab call on Friday, August 18, 1-2pm ET.

Order Catalog `_include:iterate=*`

-----------Meeting adjourned at 2:04PM EDT------------------

From Chat

Rahul Agarwal (Medplum) to Everyone (Aug 10, 2023, 1:42 PM)
Rahul Agarwal (Medplum) to Everyone (Aug 10, 2023, 1:50 PM)
Rahul Agarwal (Medplum) to Everyone (Aug 10, 2023, 1:58 PM)
Andrea Pitkus, PhD, MLS(ASCP)CE, FAMIA. UW-Madison to Everyone (Aug 10, 2023, 2:00 PM)
Thanks for bringing up these issues.  lab is still maturing,  NO LIS is using FHIR as far as we know yet,  We need to do extensive review to make sure FHIR will meet lab needs.  Working on building out in COW for orders too.
Rahul Agarwal (Medplum) to Everyone (Aug 10, 2023, 2:01 PM)
There is at least 1 LIS - Medplum :)
Our case study:

  • Check back in August for progress

UP-44 -no value set content defined for v2 table 963 value set 

  • Leaving UP-44 open for now – so that the new tickets and this one can be linked

V2-Jira Review (time permitting) 


Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:
    • Need to add current topics
  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings
    • Every other Friday, 9-10am ET starting 10/1
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Mondays 1 - 2 PM ET
    • Thursdays 11 - 12 AM EDT

FHIR Discussion Topics: 


Block Vote Pulled JIRA

JIRA Status



Block Vote Pulled JIRA

From June 2023




Elliot Silver pulled FHIR-33042

Hans pulled FHIR-32154, FHIR-25552 

From May 25, 2023


JIRA Status



JIRA Issue Backlog
  • Should the extension be removed?
    • 4/27 NOTES:
    • Side-bar: There are also several extensions on other resources, for example for nutrition that we are not sure where the extensions came from
    • Related Jira referenced in comments = FHIR-29273
      • This jira mentions these artifacts
        • Blood Pressure Panel
        • Body Length
        • Body Weight
        • Head Occipital-Frontal Circumference by Tape Measure
      •  came from Rita Pyle
    • A component is different from a qualifier
      • It is not in the definition for component, but mentioned in text in we say “or may provide qualifying information to observation.code”
        • Can we find out how this text got added? – It is in R4, but not R3, so maybe we can find it
      • Is the bodyposition an observation that is part of the bloodpressure measurement procedure?
        • Diastolic pressure
        • Systolic pressure
        • Body position – this would have to apply to both of those measurement
      • The old jira came from Rita Pyle – let’s ask her to supply the list of qualifiers that are modeled differently – add comment to this Jira tagging her
      • Add Overall comment? We see a difference between qualifiers and components of an observation – let’s do some more research first
  • Total FHIR = 265Tickets in Submitted, Triaged, Waiting For Input (not ready to be applied)

    • FHIRCore = 232
    • FHIRCast=1
    • FHIRPath=11
    • FHIR IGs = 14

  • At-home Test - Deferred tickets that have been reopened.
  • This group is not meeting – how or when do these tickets get resolved?

  • Grouping the tickets with Observation.category changes
  • Need to determine where to have this discussion – at least to propose dispositions for a block
  • Discussed at WGM – need to determine outstanding JIRAs

JIRAs to Be Applied (FHIR Core)

JIRAs to Be Applied (IGs)

  • Status of tickets

Total To be Applied:
  • 62 FHIRCore
  • 72 IG related
JIRAS to be marked Published

Note - these are in the published R5 on

Modules - Updates on progress


The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 

OO Resource Coverage

  • Need to discuss developmental roadmap for each of the OO resources for R6
  • Added R6 planning to WGM agenda
  • Need to discuss what needs to be done prior to WGM to prep for discussions
  • Add Resource reorg comments to module pages


  • Marti revised related resource for each topic area to where the resources align to current modules
  • Definitional resources were in workflow (pattern is still there) but those are now in administrative – Marti and Jose to take off-line

Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Every Monday 2 - 3 PM ET
  • Topics
    • Device Association
    • Module for Device, BDP and Nutrition
    • Intake/Administration/Procedure Consistencies
    • otherwise Jira tickets for Device(Definition), BDP, Nutrition
  • Topics
    • Jira tickets work
Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • Topics
    • IG has been reviewed and approved by FMG with the caveat that it not be published until the MedMorph Reference Architecture IG is published (checking on ETA)
  • Topics
    • Publication Pending

  • Project page: 
  • Meetings
    • Every Wednesday 2 -4 PM ET
    • Note that the call is listed on call calendar only as 1 hour call, since conference center won't let calls overlap
  • Topics

    • Next Call July 26, 2023
  • Project page link: 
  • Meetings

    • 4th  Wednesday ONLY 2-3 ET
  • Topics
    • LIVD IG - Ballot Reconciliation 
    • Next Call: July 20, 2023

(FHIR in the Lab) Order Workflow project is merged with: FHIR Orders Exchange (DME/AcuteOrders) (Administrative)


  • FHIR in the Lab/Workflow - establishing boundaries for each project
  • FOE
    • Referrals/PriorAuths/Orders/Claims
    • Focus on exchanges between Ordering Provider and Performing Provider

Order Service Catalog
  • Topics
    • Preparing Publication request
    • Draft content has been sent out
  • Topics
    • LRI/LOI
    • Lab related topics