ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

OO Main - Meeting Information

Meeting Details

Date: July 27, 2023

Time: 1 - 2PM ET


Meeting Status

Chair:  JD Nolen

Scribe:  Riki Merrick

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 

OO Events 


OO Calls Next 7 Days (check if happening)

  • Catalog
  • LAB
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Specimen
  • HCP
  • OO on FHIR
  • Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • IHE SDC/eCC on FHIR 

  • Nutrition  - every 4th of Month
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Main Call

  • LIVD 

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates

Sep 2023 Connectathon / Ballot / WGM
Ballot FHIR IG approval July 18 - July 27, 2023
Final ballot content deadlineJuly 30, 2023
WGM Agenda postedAug 11, 2023
WGM Minutes postedSep 29, 2023
Other Deadlines
TSC Representative ElectionJuly 31, 2023
2024 Jan Connectathon and Ballot
TSC Approved PSS deadlineAug 11, 2023
FHIR IG proposals to FMGOct 22, 2023
NIB deadlineNov 11, 2023
FHIR Connectathon Track Proposal dueNov 17, 2023
FHIR Core substantive Content freezeDec 5, 2023
Prior ballot recon dueDec 3, 2023
Ballot FHIR IG approval 
Final ballot content deadlineDec 17, 2023
WGM Agenda posted
WGM Minutes posted
DateUpcoming Agenda Topics
TBDNeed to check Block Vote readiness for June JIRA tickets


(Names of people present are BOLDED)



Ralf HerzogRoche
Rob HausamHausam Consulting
JD NolenMercy Children's Hospital
Hans BuitendijkOracle
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC / APHL
Yanick GaudetStar Global 
Andrea PitkusUW
Marti VelezisSonrisa / FDA
Craig NewmanAltarum
Dan RutzEpic
Jose Costa Teixeira
Christopher HarrisonQuest Diagnostics
Bob DieterleEnable Care
Kathy WalshLabcorp
Lorraine ConstableConstable Consulting
Elliot SilverResMed
Donna Pertel
Susan DownerJMC / APHL
Patrick Loyd
Matt Elrod
Dave HillMitre
Maria Moen

Agenda and Notes:


Approve Minutes


  • Co-chair elections
    • Currently in flight. 
    • All workgroup members (those on the can vote.
    • Please vote by July 31.
    • If you are a write in candidate, let us know so we can create awareness.
  • TSC Representatives
    • OO needs to vote on 2 of three candidates. 
    • One of them is Riki Merrick (well known to many).  Lloyd McKenzie and Gora Data are the others.
    • Motion to vote for Riki -  Ralf Herzog, Yanick Gaudet – no further discussion, against: 0, abstain: 1, in favor: 7
    • Motion to vote for Llyod – against: 0, abstain: 5, in favor: 2
    • John D.L. Nolen  to submit the vote

OO Project Proposal Triage - Not discussed

  • PSS-2246 - Getting issue details... STATUS -HL7 Implementation Guide for CDA® Release 2: National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI) Reports for Antimicrobial Use (AU) reporting from Long Term Care Facilities (HAI-AU-LTCF-CDA)

    • will add note that we will pass on this proposal Riki Merrick, Rob Hausam, no further discussion, against: 0, abstain: 2, in favor: 6
    • actually the proposal was withdrawn as this was incorporated into an existing project, so no note added

Today's topics:

OO WGM 202309 - Agenda - Orders & Observations - Confluence (

  • PH meeting on Tues Q2 – Craig will tell us if that does NOT work – OO can host
  • BPM+ meeting is Wed Q2
  • Will add topics next week
  • Co-Chairs to add their availability
  • Wed Q4 for vocab – still Gender Harmony?
  • Next week will add some topics from here: `2023-09-11-15 WGM
  • Need to work with FHIR-I or Vocab on the following: 
    • FHIR-40437 - Link missing -  Note this is the expansion list

September Connectathon Participation


Review Order Catalog Implementation Guide 0.1.0 - STU Ballot 1 Publication Request

  • Motion to approve, Riki Merrick, Rob Hausam, no further discussion, against: 0, abstain: 0, in favor: 8
  • John D.L. Nolen to submit

Update on FHIR Tracker related to Family/Household attributes

  • Created matrix - see: 2023-07-18 OO on FHIR and 2023-07-25 OO on FHIR
  • discussion is generating additional Jira tickets
  • Had a lot of discussion on 2023-07-25 OO on FHIR
    • A family can be a recipient of care, but also a provider of care
    • Do we want to repurpose Group for receiving care and CareTeam for providing care, GG doesn’t like it, per zulip thread
    • If they are both providers and receivers of care, then all the attributes would be duplicated
    • In a family parents can give care, but infants would not providing care – but can receive care
    • CareTeam covers Group, so could cover that aspect
    • FHIR-I owns Group and PC owns CareTeam – but this on a WGM agenda for the joint with PC Wed Q1
    • Left note on zulip to join the OO call on August 8 and offered the WGM Wed Q1
    • Send email notes about this plan to Co-Chairs of affected WGs: PC, FHIR-I, Learning Health Systems

Diagnostic Report and CLIA Zulip

Adjourned 1:38 PM ET

  • Check back in August for progress

UP-44 -no value set content defined for v2 table 963 value set 

  • Leaving UP-44 open for now – so that the new tickets and this one can be linked

V2-Jira Review (time permitting) 


Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:
    • Need to add current topics
  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings
    • Every other Friday, 9-10am ET starting 10/1
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Mondays 1 - 2 PM ET
    • Thursdays 11 - 12 AM EDT

Discussion Topics: 


Modules - Updates on progress


The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 

OO Resource Coverage

  • Need to discuss developmental roadmap for each of the OO resources for R6
  • Added R6 planning to WGM agenda
  • Need to discuss what needs to be done prior to WGM to prep for discussions
  • Add Resource reorg comments to module pages


  • Marti revised related resource for each topic area to where the resources align to current modules
  • Definitional resources were in workflow (pattern is still there) but those are now in administrative – Marti and Jose to take off-line

Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Every Monday 2 - 3 PM ET
  • Topics
    • Device Association
    • Module for Device, BDP and Nutrition
    • Intake/Administration/Procedure Consistencies
    • otherwise Jira tickets for Device(Definition), BDP, Nutrition
  • Topics
    • Jira tickets work
Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • Topics
    • IG has been reviewed and approved by FMG with the caveat that it not be published until the MedMorph Reference Architecture IG is published (checking on ETA)
  • Topics
    • Publication Pending

  • Project page: 
  • Meetings
    • Every Wednesday 2 -4 PM ET
    • Note that the call is listed on call calendar only as 1 hour call, since conference center won't let calls overlap
  • Topics

    • Next Call July 26, 2023
  • Project page link: 
  • Meetings

    • 4th  Wednesday ONLY 2-3 ET
  • Topics
    • LIVD IG - Ballot Reconciliation 
    • Next Call: July 20, 2023

(FHIR in the Lab) Order Workflow project is merged with: FHIR Orders Exchange (DME/AcuteOrders) (Administrative)


  • FHIR in the Lab/Workflow - establishing boundaries for each project
  • FOE
    • Referrals/PriorAuths/Orders/Claims
    • Focus on exchanges between Ordering Provider and Performing Provider

Order Service Catalog
  • Topics
    • Preparing Publication request
    • Draft content has been sent out
  • Topics
    • LRI/LOI
    • Lab related topics