ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: May 26, 2023

Time: 1PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)




  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 


  • Standing Topics 
    • Special Topics
    • COW/Workflow updates
  • Impact Assessment - DeviceAssociation resource
  • JIRAs Triage
  • Other agenda items?

Meeting Resources

JIRA Dashboards:

JIRA Grouping Tags:

  • OO-Lab - to indicate when the JIRA Ticket should be reviewed by the OO Lab SMEs, especially when the issue is not assigned to the Resource owner.

Meeting Minutes

Previous Meeting Notes

Standing Topics

eSignature Update

  • Follow-up date

From Chat:

Andrea Pitkus:  Regarding e-sig, I came across this CLIA doc (see #5):

eSignature Update

2023-02-24 OO - LAB/LIVD

TODAY – Health Data, Technology, and Interoperability: Certification Program Updates, Algorithm Transparency, and Information Sharing


  • Follow-up date  

Notes from Today 5/19:

Bolded items added during today's call

  • Question: DId you want to add EHR-S for receipt of lab results under 1?


  • Lab Shopping/Walk-in Labs
    • Lab test pulled when the QR is scanned
    • Providers are able to order tests that are not available in the labs
  • There are still issues that need to be addressed prior to certification - 
  • Upgrading to current 
    • See 3f
    • LRI/LOI
    • Updated device data
    • LIVD
  • when you certify - needs to go beyond EHRs (i.e., information systems within specific role), source of the flow should be followed 


April 28, 2023 - Need to follow up on the May 19, 2023 LAB call


    • Reviewing the text:
      • This is for consideration for future rules
        • Current rules listed
        • In past times LRI was in rule, then it got dropped, LOI was considered, but were not in 2015 rules, which we regret
        • some improvements during COVID
    • OO ONC NPRM Response Draft. - Orders & Observations - Confluence (
      • Please include comments/suggestions for consideration.
    • The follow-up is to start to draft more specific responses and review on the next main call (5/18)
      • Would like to create a draft proposed response based on the notes in the next couple of weeks
      • Add back on the Lab agenda for next week
  • SVAP is out for comment also
    • Consider adding:  More automatic inclusion of HL7 published newer version of standards in ISA, so they are available for SVAP

New Rule on Race/Ethnicity from OMB/CDC

  • Follow-up date  

New Rule on Race/Ethnicity from OMB/CDC


  • Follow-up date  
  • Need to follow-up with AMA representative

Update from FHIR Lab Workflow call

Meeting Notes

  • Reminder: LIVD call to restart June 15?? biweekly for a short period of time to finish updates to the LIVD IG
    • Ed will work on getting updates to the group before the next meeting
    • Need to select a new date for the meeting – does it sync up with the availability of others interested in the topic - i.e., we had it alternating on the specific weeks to avoid the alternating conflicts with this day/time.
  • See notes above on NPRM discussion and addition of the  OO ONC NPRM Response Draft Confluence page
    • To be discussed this week.
  • Device Association - Lab-related Resources to review impact of change to Device/DeviceAssociation (notes will be moved to confluence page):
    • BodyStructure
      • Does not need to change distanceFromLandmark.device from reference(Device) to reference(DeviceAssocation)
      • While BodyStructure and DeviceAssociation have references to each other, the deviceAssociation only generally points to a Device being present, the BodyStructure indicates a relative position to a specific device.
    • DiagnosticReport
    • DocumentReference
    • Observation
    • Specimen
  • See May WGM carry-over FHIR JIRA Tickets below

JIRA Triage

V2 Lab JIRAs (link)

The following JIRA Tickets need to be reviewed by the Lab members as carry over from May 2023 WGM:

FHIR Lab JIRA (link)

The following JIRA Tickets need to be reviewed by the Lab members as carry over from May 2023 WGM:

Next Meeting: June 2, 2023