ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: April 25, 2023

Time: 2PM

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Elliot Silver, Kathy Walsh, Yanick Gaudet, JD Nolen, Rob Hausam, Marti Velezis

Co-chair: JD Nolen

Scribe: Marti Velezis

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 


  • JIRA Tickets - Backlog
  • Next Meeting


Meeting Notes

JIRA Trackers for Today

  • Old JIRA review 
  • FHIR-12809 - Getting issue details... STATUS -
    • Since no requests have been made for operations since DSTU3, we will close this tracker. Please resubmit with use cases when available. 
    • Motion to find Not Persuasive
    • Elliot Silver / Marti Velezis : 5 - 0 - 0
  • FHIR-12913 - Patient Characteristic Profile
    • Added to Wednesday Q1 with Patient Care to determine if they can provide requirements for a core profile on Observation for patient characteristics.

Outreach - completed

  • FHIR-34491 - Add statusReason in ServiceRequest
    • We initially discussed that we did not see value in adding statusReason as we didn't know what additional value it would bring (esp. with the example of Procedure.statusReason value set)

    • We left a comment to reporter to provide use cases for us to consider
    • Also – could this be used for the next JIRA re: verbal orders??  
    • 4/18 - No further discussion this week - the submitter did not respond to the comments yet.
    • Rob will send Finnie Flores an email to get a response
    • Please try Anne Forsyth ( – she is now the manager of data standards in CIHI and may be able to provide a contact. You may wish to provide her the organ donation context.
    • 4/25 - Marti sent email Anne 
  • FHIR-34207 - Add attribute to document confirmation
    • We started to discuss this ticket - re: As various orders may be place verbally, a ServiceRequest needs to be able to document that this ServiceRequest confirms a verbal order that may already have been fulfilled, thus not re-initiated.
    • Proposal to add extension
      • The backbone includes .time and .note (Annotation) – and annotation also includes  time.  Need to evaluate how to represent this information. 
    • We also discussed whether or not there was some connection to the status and statusReason
    • No further discussion this week - need to determine need with Hans Buitendijk 
    • Marti Velezis sent email to Hans with request to review this ticket.
    • 4/25 - Marti sent email to Hans 

Next Meeting: May 2, 2023


The following are tickets that have action items (waiting for input, assigned to WGM or email outreach) that need to be completed prior to discussing again.

  • FHIR-26674 - ServiceRequest.asNeeded[x] and ServiceRequest.reason
    • FHIR-40765 - Align Request resources' asNeeded and reason (related ticket)
    • Follow-up from Pharmacy Co-chairs - need to update once we receive a response
    • Waiting on feedback from pharma
    • Will chat about this on Friday's catalog call 
  • FHIR-39448  
    • This ticket was reopened after R5 publication
    • We reviewed the previous proposed changes and confirmed that the changes still need to be made
    • Robert Hausam will add to the list of proposed changes if any additional changes are required; and we will discuss next time.
  • FHIR-38985
    • Added to the FHIR-I session at WGM on Thursday Q2
  • FHIR-38833
    • This ticket was reopened after R5 publication
    • Added to the FHIR-I session at WGM on Thursday Q2
    • See if we can get FHIR-I to add another time slot for Rob to participate