Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: April 10, 2023

Time: 3PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Hans Buitendijk, JD Nolen, David Barwin, Barbee Whitaker, Donna Pertel, Elliot Silver, Karen Moniz, Paul Ashford, Marti Velezis, John Hatem, John Rhoads

Co-chair: Hans Buitendijk

Scribe: Marti Velezis

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 


  • Administrative
    • DeviceDispense FHIR IG Proposal
  • BDP Module
  • Device Module
  • Status on JIRA Tickets
  • AOB
  • Next Meeting


HCP_Backlog - FOR REVIEW (includes Nutrition resources)

HCP_Ballot Related - JIRA that need to be completed by R5 (many of these are related to Normative content)

HCP_Work In Progress - Items that need to be updated in the build and/or QA for completion

Module Pages

The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates



April 17, 2023

BDP Module

Nutrition Module 

April 24, 2023Nutrition Module
May 1, 2023Nutrition Module, Device Module
May 6-May 12

HL7 Connectathon,  WGM, WGM+ in New Orleans

Unscheduled Discussions

Action Items

Instructions: Type your task here, using "@" to assign to a user and "//" to select a due date

Action Item



JIRA Tickets

  • BDP
    • BDP Module
      • Reviewed Updates 
      • Need specific examples versus the "pattern"
      • Change the Hospital Transfusion Lab --> BDP Custodian in the generic model
      • Need to add the following workflow models: 
        • Blood Transfusion
        • Tissue Bank 
        • Cornea/Ocular example
      • Discussed items that need to updated – and we will review next time (if they are available)
      • Next week: April 17, 2023 (note David will be out for a couple of weeks after next meeting) and/or 
      • Would like to get this done by April 24 and do a mock-up in the build
  • Device
    • Devices Module
      • Need to do work with the DEV group and in the HCP groups
      • Reviewed model as shown below - these are not complete models, but just the initial version of the "Master" view of the device relationships:

Note - DeviceAssociation highlights why the association needs to be separate to handle patient related information.

Will work with the DEV working group to include additional views for device settings and device metrics.  Need to write up the narratives for the models.

The following model is for communicating devices -- to differentiate the endpoint, gateway and observation.gateway extension. We need to do some additional write ups:

JIRA Backlog: 

FHIR-40397 - Search parameter for products

Device.type and Device.definition.codeableReference(DeviceDefinition)

  • Device.type has more visibility and we have done a lot of work with controlled vocabulary
  • There is some confusion with identifier of the DeviceDefinition versus a code
  • DeviceDefinition.identifier is for the instance of the definition (which may change over time and multiple definitions are persisted)

Proposed Disposition: 

  • Change codeableReference(DeviceDefinition) back to Reference(DeviceDefinition)
  • Clarify that Device.type relates DeviceDefinition.classification.type using the same binding enabling referencing.  Update the DeviceModule page to explain that further.
  • Suggest that the search parameter: 
codetokenThe definition / type of the device (code)Device.definition.concept
  • update with the following: 
codetokenThe definition / type of the device (code)Device.type |  Device.definition.reference.classification.type
  • to be consistent with the other HCP Resources.
  • Suggest that the search parameter:
typetokenThe type of the deviceDevice.type 
  •  update with the following
typetokenThe type of the deviceDevice.type | Device.definition.reference.classification.type

Need to check to make sure all of the "Deferred" tickets have been reinstated; need to reconcile along with the tickets that are still in "Applied"status, but have been "Published" in R5.

Next meeting:  April 17. 2023

Note - we started the model in LucidCharts (required licenses) -- but needed to migrate to Miro.

---------Adjourned Meeting---------


Note these are issues that we did not have time to discuss, or already have been discussed, but may not be ready for disposition (i.e., waiting for input or additional work needs to be completed).


  • TBD

  • FHIR-32756 - request-insurance extension needs more context given in the description
  • Waiting for Jose Costa-Teixeira  to respond to comments; this should be included in a future call (August 8 or 15)
  • FHIR-19516 - Substantive workflow changes for OO resources
  • Needs to be assigned (Status = Resolved Change Required)
  • TBD

  • TBD


  • Pending additional review

Appointment, AppointmentResponse, ArtifactAssessment, 

AuditEvent, Basic, BodyStructure, CarePlan, ChargeItem, ChargeItemDefinition, Claim, ClinicalUseDefinition, Communication, 

CommunicationRequest, Composition, Condition, Consent, Contract, DetectedIssue, itself, DeviceAssociation, DeviceDispense,DeviceMetric, DeviceRequest, DeviceUsage, 

DiagnosticReport, DocumentReference, Encounter, EvidenceReport, 

EvidenceVariable, ExplanationOfBenefit, FamilyMemberHistory, Flag

GenomicStudy, Group, GuidanceResponse, ImagingSelection, ImagingStudy,

InventoryItem, InventoryReport, Invoice, List, MeasureReport, MedicationAdministration, 

MedicationDispense, MedicationRequest, MessageHeader, 

MolecularSequence, NutritionIntake, Observation, 

ObservationDefinition, Permission, PlanDefinition, Procedure,Provenance, 

QuestionnaireResponse, RequestOrchestration, Requirements, ResearchSubject, 

RiskAssessment, Schedule, ServiceRequest, Signature, Specimen, 

SupplyDelivery, SupplyRequest, Task and Transport

  • FHIR-31750 - Complement Valueset-identifier-type for Device identifiers 

  • Approved; Updating UP-232
  • Examples
  • Search Parameters
  • Mappings (TBD)
  • Need to complete work on Device Definition to make it consistent with or address variations from Device resource
  • TBD


  • FHIR-26429  - Consider adding extension to allow fuzzy timing for DeviceRequest.occurrence

  • Note - Robert Hausam there is an outstanding question in comments for you - also see under Service Request.

  • Need update from OO on FHIR

  • FHIR-26948 - Create examples for prosthetics (e.g. glasses, lenses) in DeviceRequest; Comment added for Jose - Pending
  • See topic below (Device Request and VisionPrescription)
  • Device Request and VisionPrescription

  • Will be kept open until UDI IG has addressed these and can confirm it covers it.
  • FHIR-34491 - Add statusReason in ServiceRequest

  • FHIR-40631
    • Some OO requests need basedOn to RequestOrchestration
    • NutritionOrder (was NutritionRequest), ServiceRequest (Diagnostic/Procedure/ReferralRequest), VisionPrescription

  • FHIR-38818 - Clarify SupplyDelivery for shipment vs reception

Product Pattern
  • Need Jose Costa-Teixeira and Carl Leitner on the call.
  • Is there a benefit to have definition for BDP, in blood bank with ordering is one (and maybe only example).