ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

OO Main - Meeting Information

Meeting Details

Date:  April 6, 2023

Time: 1 - 2PM ET


Meeting Status

Chair:  Marti Velezis

Scribe: Riki Merrick

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 

OO Events 


OO Calls Next 7 Days (check if happening)

  • Clinical Order Workflow in FHIR
  • Catalog
  • LAB
  • FHIR Orders Exchange (FOE) (previously DME/Acute/Admin) - starting 30 min late every other week - next time 4/17
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Specimen
  • HCP
  • OO on FHIR
  • Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • IHE SDC/eCC on FHIR 
  • Nutrition
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Main Call

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates



April 10, 2023

September 2023 Ballot - TSC PSS Deadline

April 15, 2023Early Bird Deadline for WGM registration
April 27, 2023Finalize WGM Schedule and withdraw room requests, if necessary
May 6, 2023 to May 7, 2023 -HL7 FHIR Connectathon
May 8, 2023 to May 12, 2023 May Working Group Meeting+ and HL7 FHIR Connectathon
May 28, 2023January 2024 Ballot - PMO Deadline


(Names of people present are BOLDED)



Ralf HerzogRoche
Rob HausamHausam Consulting
Hans BuitendijkOracle
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC / APHL
Yanick GaudetGlobal Star
Nancy SpectorAMA
Andrea PitkusUW
Marti VelezisSonrisa / FDA
Donna Pertel
Dan RutzEpic
Jose Costa Teixeira
Alex GoelCAP
Bob DieterleEnable Care
Kathy WalshLabcorp
Lorraine ConstableConstable Consulting
Elliot SilverResMed

Agenda and Notes:


Approve Minutes

    • 2023-03-30 Main

      • Motion to approve as published: Lorraine Constable / Kathy Walsh : 9-0-0

Key Topics for Today

  • WGM Agenda review

OO Project Proposal Triage

  • No new Proposals or PSSs to review

Other (Project Approvals, NIBs, etc.) - not discussed

May 2023 WGM - OO, Joints and WGM+ Coordination

  • Early bird registration is April 15, 2023
  • Hotel rooms are hard to come by, as it is also Jazz week
  • 5/1 (or week before) - Final date to withdraw rooms if not needed.
  • OO WGM 202305 - Agenda
    • Updates to the agenda were posted (link above)
      • Added DEV to FHIR-I quarter in order for them to be part of the module discussion

      • No nutrition topics needed for WGM

      • BRR is not coming to Thu Q1, we have product related topics to discuss (Marti Velezis) and date/time  

        • Would like to follow up on all of the "product" related IGs (i.e., SPL, ePI, etc) 
        • Tues Q1, Q3 or Q4???
  • WGM+ Schedule (NEW LINK)
    • Monday Q1 - SHALL not schedule WGM 
    • Tuesday Q1 - SHOULD not schedule WGM (ONC/USCDI, Argonaut, Gravity)
    • Rob Hausam (not available TH  Q1/Q2)
    • WGM+ meeting has virtual option for all days
    • Combined meeting with Health BPM Wed + Thu, may run into Friday

OTHER Project Jira

  • Most from nutrition ballot – Lorraine Constable  will need to update those – have been applied and published

E-Signature Update


  • The e-signature draft was submitted to the PAC.  I did get a request from Christopher at Quest to quote a paragraph and am following up with PAC on when we are locked in enough to do so.



UP-44 -no value set content defined for v2 table 963 value set 

  • We had discussed and taken a vote on this back on 2022-06-10, but I'm not sure at this point if that is still what we actually still will want to do.  If we discuss it again together hopefully we can decide if that is what we want or we can figure out a good alternative plan.

Add GTIN - v2 - to HL70301 and HL70203


Add "GTIN", "serialized GTIN" and other UDI Types to UniveralIDType ( to be able to specify that a Universal ID is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type.

This would help to apply to HD Data, EI Data, EIP Data, etc. the Universal ID Type "GTIN", examples are:

HD based Data (HD-2 (Universal ID) is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type:

  • MSH-3 (Sending Application), 
  • MSH-5 (Receiving Application), 

EI based Data (EI-3 (Universal ID) is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type:

  • SAC-3 (Container Identifier), 
  • SAC-4 (Primary (Parent) Container Identifier)
  • PRT-10 (Device ID)
  • PRT-16 (UDI Device Identifier)

EIP based Data (EIP-1-3 and EIP-2-3 (Universal ID) is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type:

  • SPM-2 (Specimen ID), 
  • SPM-3 (Specimen Parent IDs), etc.
    • Both of these are related to the work GS1 is currently discussing to maybe create a "serialized" GTIN for all containers which would be a worldwide unique code (would be default barcode on tubes, slides, tags etc.) 

CX datatype uses HL70203 for example in PID-3 (not applicable), but maybe in OBX-5.

JIRA??? Ralf Herzog 

V2-Jira Review (time permitting) 


Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:
    • Need to add current topics
  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings
    • Every other Friday, 9-10am ET starting 10/1
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Mondays 1 - 2 PM ET
    • Thursdays 11 - 12 AM EDT

Discussion Topics: 

IHE SDC/eCC on FHIR STU1 Publication Request

  • Reviewed publication request with Alex
  • Need to make the spreadsheet to upload to the ballot desktop - this needs to be done by a Co-Chair

  • Need to come up with product brief description

  • Will finalize and bring back to OO Main on April 27, 2023 for publication approval.
  • NOTE: Will need to share the final IG for review 1 week prior to the publication request review, so by 4/20/2023


JIRA StatusJIRA IDDiscussion/Disposition

JIRA Issue Backlog

Total FHIR = 289 Tickets in Submitted, Triaged, Waiting For Input

  • FHIRCore = 226
  • FHIRCast=1
  • FHIRPath=11
  • FHIR IGs = 51
  • Grouping the tickets with Observation.category changes
  • Did not discuss
Catalog JIRAs
  • Need to administratively check these were included in the IG revisions before publication.
Other - Nutrition DAM
  • Need to administratively check these were included in the DAM revisions before publication.
JIRAs to Be Applied
  • Status of tickets
  • Did not discuss
Total To be Applied:
  • 40 FHIRCore
  • 115 IG related
JIRAS to be marked Published

Note - these are in the published R5 on

  • Did not discuss

  • JIRA Backlog Cleanup -
    • Plan of attack to cleanup stale JIRAs.
    • Need to triage the older tickets to see if they are still relevant/valid (any volunteers???)
      • We may just want to create block votes for any tickets that are no longer relevant/valid
    • We have been getting 6-12 tickets per meeting if we have prepared the tickets in advance
    • We will continue to work through the backlog

Modules - Updates on progress


The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 

OO Resource Coverage

  • Need to discuss developmental roadmap for each of the OO resources for R6
  • Added R6 planning to WGM agenda
  • Need to discuss what needs to be done prior to WGM to prep for discussions
  • Add Resource reorg comments to module pages


  • Marti revised related resource for each topic area to where the resources align to current modules
  • Definitional resources were in workflow (pattern is still there) but those are now in administrative – Marti and Jose to take off-line

Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)

ProjectTopicsProject Information
FHIR Orders Exchange (DME/AcuteOrders) (Administrative)
  • Topics:
    • Referrals/PriorAuths/Orders/Claims
    • Focus on exchanges between Ordering Provider and Performing Provider
    • Overlaps with FHIR in the Lab/Workflow - establishing boundaries for each project
  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:
    • Every Monday 12 - 1 PM ET
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Every Monday 2 - 3 PM ET
  • Topics
    • Device Associations
    • Intake/Administration/Procedure Consistencies
    • Device Structure
    • otherwise Jira tickets for Device(Definition), BDP, Nutrition
  • Topics
    • Treatment Orders discussion - see OO-on-FHIR Meeting minutes from 11/15
      • To standardize Portable Medical Orders/Advance Directives, etc.
      • Patient Care will evaluate ServiceRequest, Consent, CarePlan and follow-up with OO 
    • Looking at PC involvement so we can track down related people on observations – boundary between observation.subject and observation.relatedPerson - familyMemberHistory profile review, FM has similar conversations around subject and beneficiary
    • also should review at Gravity work around sexual orientation
    • VisionPrescription resource ownership - need to update ownership
    • Jira tickets work
Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • Topics
    • IG has been reviewed and approved by FMG with the caveat that it not be published until the MedMorph Reference Architecture IG is published (checking on ETA)
  • Topics
    • Pending IG updates and Publication Request

  • Project page: 
  • Meetings
    • Every Wednesday 2 -4 PM ET
    • Note that the call is listed on call calendar only as 1 hour call, since conference center won't let calls overlap
  • Topics

    • Pending resources
    • Working on R5 ballot comments

  • Project page link: 
  • Meetings

    • 2nd and 4th  Wednesday 2-3 ET (Restarts April 12, 2023)
(FHIR in the Lab) Order Workflow project


  • Workflow 
Order Service Catalog
  • Topics
    • Supply chain and Inventory
    • WHO - Product/Trade Item
  • Topics
    • LIVD IG - Ballot Reconciliation 
    • LRI/LOI
    • Lab related topics