Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: March 27, 2023

Time: 3PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Hans Buitendijk, JD Nolen, Paul Ashford, Rob Hausam,James Allain, Javier Espina, John Hatem, John Rhoads, Elliot Silver, Jose Costa Teixeira, Karen Moniz, Nancy Spector, Marti Velezis

Co-chair: JD Nolen

Scribe: Marti Velezis

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 


  • Administrative
    • DeviceDispense FHIR IG Proposal
    • JIRA Clean-up
  • Status on JIRA Tickets
  • AOB
  • Next Meeting


HCP_Backlog - FOR REVIEW (includes Nutrition resources)

HCP_Ballot Related - JIRA that need to be completed by R5 (many of these are related to Normative content)

HCP_Work In Progress - Items that need to be updated in the build and/or QA for completion

Discussion Topic Pages

  • VisionPrescription ???

Module Pages

The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates



April , 3, 2023BDP Module
April 10, 2023BDP Module, Device Module
April 17, 2023

BDP Module

Nutrition Module 

April 24, 2023Nutrition Module
May 1, 2023Nutrition Module, Device Module
May 6-May 12

HL7 Connectathon,  WGM, WGM+ in New Orleans

Unscheduled Discussions

Action Items

Instructions: Type your task here, using "@" to assign to a user and "//" to select a due date

Action Item


  • Administrative
    • DeviceDispense FHIR Resource Proposal
      • Need to complete work on the resource proposal prior to next WGM
      • Add again for next time.
    • Workplan for working group - 5 meetings until WGM
      • Updated WGM agenda and added topics to our meeting schedule (see above)
      • Modules - We will discuss BDP, Device and NutritionProduct in this forum to ensure consistency across healthcare products; Work to sync with any medication specific patterns or workflow topics.  Nutrition group can do work on their calls and raise issues to bring back to our calls (esp. to harmonize across product resources.
  • JIRA Tickets
    • BDP
      • FHIR-40286 - Retracted by David (see ticket for comments) - this is FYI only
      • FHIR-40397
        • Align product code search parameters (see proposed disposition)
        • Suggest that the search parameter: 

          codetokenThe definition / type of the device (code)Device.definition.concept

          update with the following: 

          codetokenThe definition / type of the device (code)Device.type | Device.definition.concept | Device.definition.reference.classification.type

          to be consistent with the other HCP Resources.

          Also need to update: 

          typetokenThe type of the deviceDevice.type | Device.definition.reference.classification.type

          Also need to discuss: 

          Given that Device.definition as codeableReference allows for a codeableConcept for Device which duplicates the Device.type and pass-thru of Device.definition.reference.classification.type - should Device.definition be limited to Reference(DeviceDefinition)?

        • Updated proposed disposition, but still needs further discussion.
    • DeviceAssociation
      • Need to complete assessment of Device associations across all of the Resources that referenced device that may need to track the association.
      • See listing below in Inventory Backlog
    • Nutrition
      • Resuming calls on April 12, 2023
      • Project team can work on Nutrition Product, and raise any cross-resource issues back to this group.
    • VisionPrescription
      • Need to plan for analysis of VisionPrescription, added a Confluence page: Module: VisionPrescription
      • Note this was bumped to FMM3
      • Ne to prep for joint meeting with FM at May2023 WGM

Next meeting:  April 3. 2023

--------end of call--------

Did not get to the following: 

  • Device
    • FHIR-40384
      • Need to distinguish device-created from transcribed observations
    • FHIR-40335 
      • Clarify use of Observation.subject, .device, and .focus for devices
    • Where do we include AI/ML and DTx into our scope
  • Cross-cutting
    • FHIR-40631
      • Some OO requests need basedOn to RequestOrchestration
      • NutritionOrder (was NutritionRequest), ServiceRequest (Diagnostic/Procedure/ReferralRequest), VisionPrescription


Note these are issues that we did not have time to discuss, or already have been discussed, but may not be ready for disposition (i.e., waiting for input or additional work needs to be completed).


  • TBD

  • FHIR-32756 - request-insurance extension needs more context given in the description
  • Waiting for Jose Costa-Teixeira  to respond to comments; this should be included in a future call (August 8 or 15)
  • FHIR-19516 - Substantive workflow changes for OO resources
  • Needs to be assigned (Status = Resolved Change Required)
  • TBD

  • TBD


  • Pending additional review

ChargeItemDefinition, Claim, ClinicalUseDefinition, Communication, CommunicationRequest, Composition, Condition, Consent, Contract, DetectedIssue, itself, 

DeviceAssociation, DeviceDispense, 

DeviceMetric, DeviceRequest, DeviceUsage, DiagnosticReport, DocumentReference, Encounter, EvidenceReport, EvidenceVariable, ExplanationOfBenefit, FamilyMemberHistory, 

Flag, GenomicStudy, 

Group, GuidanceResponse, ImagingSelection, ImagingStudy, InventoryItem, InventoryReport, Invoice, List, MeasureReport, MedicationAdministration, 

MedicationDispense, MedicationRequest, MessageHeader, MolecularSequence, NutritionIntake, Observation, ObservationDefinition, Permission, PlanDefinition, Procedure, 

Provenance, QuestionnaireResponse, RequestOrchestration, Requirements, ResearchSubject, RiskAssessment, Schedule, ServiceRequest, Signature, Specimen, 

SupplyDelivery, SupplyRequest, Task and Transport

  • FHIR-31750 - Complement Valueset-identifier-type for Device identifiers 

  • Approved; Updating UP-232
  • Examples
  • Search Parameters
  • Mappings (TBD)
  • Need to complete work on Device Definition to make it consistent with or address variations from Device resource
  • TBD


  • FHIR-26429  - Consider adding extension to allow fuzzy timing for DeviceRequest.occurrence

  • Note - Robert Hausam there is an outstanding question in comments for you - also see under Service Request.

  • Need update from OO on FHIR

  • FHIR-26948 - Create examples for prosthetics (e.g. glasses, lenses) in DeviceRequest; Comment added for Jose - Pending
  • See topic below (Device Request and VisionPrescription)
  • Device Request and VisionPrescription

  • Will be kept open until UDI IG has addressed these and can confirm it covers it.

  • FHIR-38818 - Clarify SupplyDelivery for shipment vs reception

Product Pattern
  • Need Jose Costa-Teixeira and Carl Leitner on the call.
  • Is there a benefit to have definition for BDP, in blood bank with ordering is one (and maybe only example).