ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: March 20, 2023

Time: 1PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Ralf Herzog (Roche), Kathy Walsh (Labcorp), Andrea Pitkus (UW), Dan Rutz (Epic), Scott Fradkin (Flexion), Rob Hausam (Hausam Consulting), Riki Merrick (Vernetzt, LLC / APHL), JD Nolen (Mercy Children’s Hospital)

Co-chair: Rob Hausam

Scribe: Riki Merrick

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 2) Met 


  • Discussion Topics 
  • JIRAs Triage
  • Other?

Meeting Resources

JIRA Dashboards:

Meeting Minutes

Discussion Topics

  • GS1 proposal for embedded identifiers in containers
    • Always will have tube id – there will still be the placer / or filler system created identifier
    • In v2 we can differentiate between the 2
    • 2D barcode to support labeling – that is not human readable, so still need the label
    • Also have to track when you make aliquots
      • New containers have their own IDs – could link to parents to create that linkage
      • Need multiple identifiers for bloodbank
    • But all labs that get the original container will use the same identifier
    • GS1 is coming from EUN
  • IHE is looking for sending identifiers – so need to add
    • GTIN – UDI has 2 versions – the model and the serial number
      • Would have to have this, since we
    • We need to make sure which agency is creating the UDI
    • Knowing if it is a model ID or a serial number
    • and
    • Every instrument has a serial number, but that may not need to be communicated
    • What if you have device ID and serial number, but not the elements in between?
    • in IHE LAW we use OBX-18 repeating for manufacturer, device and serial number
      • may have to revisit LAW / AUTO-16
    • We will need to pull together all the options for UDI
      • need help from Marti,
      • Ralf to contact Neil Piper to get some input into this in more detail and invite them for a call
      • Then we can draft the UTG proposal

JIRA Triage

  • V2 OO/Specimen
    • Not discussed
  • FHIR Specimen JIRAs
    • FHIR-40646
      • THO request for Specimen.processing.method value set
      • Relates to UP-408, which Marti created in order to support this
      • Not sure why we need to move the value set to THO – this is example binding
      • Provide input: Not sure we need to, because this is already in R5 and it is an example binding
      • This code system should be on the to-do list to ensure it is complete enough
        • Could be here / in LabMCoP
    • FHIR-40643
      • Extension was added as we could not add it to the Specimen core for R5; Rob was going to pre-apply

      • Create an extension in R5 for specimen.additive as 0..* as codeableReference to Substance

        • Note: example binding to a value set defined as descendants of SNOMED CT 'Substance for the codeable part of the Reference

      • Also see comments on 2023-03-14 OO on FHIR from Andrea, which is where we voted on this change 

      • Review how it was applied:
        • All extensions are managed in the FHIR Extensions Pack – will be published in concert with IG – but it also pulls the extension into the CI build now
        • Added it at 2 levels
          • Specimen
          • specimenContainer – that gives us the R4 context back
        • how to address the percentage / amount the additive
          • this may be done with container deviceType
            • in specimen.container.reference to device
              • use ode for the purpletop tube with x% EDTA – include that in the code
              • If we need to pull this out as separate elements, then we will have to model that in R6
            • When we create codeableReference for the device we could to it there
          • We can also handle it through the code for the additive
          • Device type will also handle the glass vs plastic of the container which is import
          • Motion to find persuasive with mod to add the extension at 2 levels as pre-applied - Ralf, Riki, no further discussion, against: 0, abstain: 0, in favor: 7
        • Mark as change applied
        • Vocab: HL70371 vs SNOMED CT
          • Should be on the to do list to review / create mapping - either here or LabMCoP

From Chat

Call Adjourned at 3:02 PM

Next Meeting:  3/27/2023

Next Time: 

<Add any overflow items here>