ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

OO Main - Meeting Information

Meeting Details

Date:  March 3, 2023

Time: 1 - 2PM ET


Meeting Status

Chair:  JD Nolen

Scribe: Marti Velezis

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 

OO Events 


OO Calls Next 7 Days (check if happening)

  • Clinical Order Workflow in FHIR
  • Catalog
  • LAB
  • FHIR Orders Exchange (DME/Acute)
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Specimen
  • HCP
  • OO on FHIR
  • Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • IHE SDC/eCC on FHIR 
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Main Call
  • Nutrition  -TBD

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates



March 14-23, 2023IG Content Review by WG
March 26, 2023Final Content
April 10, 2023

September 2023 Ballot - TSC PSS Deadline

May 6, 2023 to May 7, 2023 -HL7 FHIR Connectathon
May 8, 2023 to May 12, 2023 May Working Group Meeting+ and HL7 FHIR Connectathon
May 28, 2023January 2024 Ballot - PMO Deadline




JD Nolen
Ralf HerzogRoche
Rob HausamHausam Consulting
Andrea PitkusUW
Marti VelezisSonrisa / FDA
Dan RutzEpic
Olga Vovk
Kathy WalshLabcorp
Lorraine ConstableConstable Consulting 
Elliot SilverResMed
Ana SzarfmanFDA
Donna Pertel
Patrick Loyd

Agenda and Notes:


Approve Minutes

    • 2023-01-16-20 WGM - give folks some time to still update and then review

      • Request for review of current minutes - and note any omissions

      • Approve at future meeting

    • 2023-02-23 Main
      • Motion to approve
      • Lorraine Constable / Elliot Silver - 9-0-1

OO Project Proposal Triage

  • No PSSs to review (reviewed on the call)

  • Project Proposal
    • AE Clinical Research Implementation Guide
      • No interested to be involved directly, but will monitor the foundation of the guide for its application to other products.  
      • However, the need to be consistent around handling of adverse events involving devices and procedures should be considered and coordinated.
      • Comments posted.

Other (Project Approvals, NIBs, etc.)

Connectathon Planning

  • Need to discuss any proposed tracks
  • March 7 deadline
  • None at this time, but we should find out if any of the projects are available.

May 2023 WGM - OO, Joints and WGM+ Coordination

  • 2/24 - Room Requests have been made - Need to check about 3 weeks out to cancel any rooms not needed.
  • OO WGM 202305 - Agenda
    • Updates to the agenda were posted (link above)
    • Need to follow-up with BR&R with a list of topics (Marti Velezis) and date/time  
  • WGM+ Schedule
    • Monday Q1 - SHALL not schedule WGM 
    • Tuesday Q1 - SHOULD not schedule WGM (ONC/USCDI, Argonaut, Gravity)
    • Rob Hausam (not available TH  Q1/Q2)

V2 Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


E-signature Update:

  • The e-signature draft was submitted to the PAC.  I did get a request from Christopher at Quest to quote a paragraph and am following up with PAC on when we are locked in enough to do so.


UP-44 -no value set content defined for v2 table 963 value set

  • We had discussed and taken a vote on this back on 2022-06-10, but I'm not sure at this point if that is still what we actually still will want to do.  If we discuss it again together hopefully we can decide if that is what we want or we can figure out a good alternative plan.
  • 2/9 Note: Rob indicated this could wait.
  • 2/16 Note: Did not discuss
  • 3/2 Note: Did not discuss today

V2-Jira Review (time permitting)

ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:
    • Need to add current topics
  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings
    • Every other Friday, 9-10am ET starting 10/1
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topicsb

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Mondays 1 - 2 PM ET
    • Thursdays 11 - 12 AM EDT

FHIR Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)

Discussion Topics 


  • Confirm March 14, 11-12pm ET FM Meeting that OO joins to finalize ownership transition 
    • JD is not available
    • This was ok for others...


The following are draft pages to organize and author content for each of our health care product resources: 

Comment from Andrea - Is there a plan to work across these topics or have a higher level orchestration (paraphrasing here...) - sorry I missed pulling the chat text. 

  • We should track this as content is developed.


  • JIRA issues (for discussion)
    • Diagnostic Report
      • FHIR-40540
        • Wait for the FHIR-39168 to determine if the items in this ticket were addressed before closing/retracting
        • Will revisit on Thursday's OO Main call 
        • Rob is working on these updates so that we can 
    • ServiceRequest
      • FHIR-40537
        • Need the example value set in order to address QA issue for ServiceRequest.orderDetail.parameter.code; note all other warnings can be deferred
        • Add to Thursday Main OO call???
        • We suggest just updating the textual description at this point - we may not be able to add a value set example.
          • DRAFT change: "A value representing the additional detail or instructions for the order (e.g., catheter insertion, body elevation, descriptive device configuration and/or setting instructions)"
          • Group determined that adding an example value set at this point would be ok.
        • Motion to add the text and an example value from the parenthetical list
        • Marti Velezis / Elliot Silver : 14 - 0 - 0
    • JIRA Backlog Cleanup
      • Plan of attack to cleanup stale JIRAs.
      • Need to triage the older tickets to see if they are still relevant/valid (any volunteers???)
        • We may just want to create block votes for any tickets that are no longer relevant/valid
      • We have been getting 6-12 tickets per meeting if we have prepared the tickets in advance
      • We will continue to work through the backlog

------------Adjourned meeting at 2PM EDT-------------------------

ProjectTopicsProject Information
FHIR Orders Exchange (Administrative)
  • Topics:
    • Referrals/PriorAuths/Orders/Claims
    • Focus on exchanges between Ordering Provider and Performing Provider
    • Overlaps with FHIR in the Lab/Workflow - establishing boundaries for each project

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:
    • Every Monday 12 - 1 PM ET - starting back up March 6
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Every Monday 2 - 3 PM ET
  • Topics
    • Device Associations
    • Intake/Administration/Procedure Consistencies
    • Device Structure
    • otherwise Jira tickets for Device(Defintiion), BDP, Nutrition
  • Topics
    • Treatment Orders discussion - see OO-on-FHIR Meeting minutes from 11/15
      • To standardize Portable Medical Orders/Advance Directives, etc.
      • Patient Care will evaluate ServiceRequest, Consent, CarePlan and follow-up with OO 
    • Looking at PC involvement so we can track down related people on observations – boundary between observation.subject and observation.relatedPerson - familyMemberHistory profile review, FM has similar conversations around subject and beneficiary
    • also should review at Gravity work around sexual orientation
    • VisionPrescription resource ownership - need to update ownership
    • Jira tickets work
Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • Topics
    • IG has been reviewed and approved by FMG with the caveat that it not be published until the MedMorph Reference Architecture IG is published (checking on ETA)
  • Topics
    • Pending IG updates and Publication Request

  • Project page: 
  • Meetings
    • Every Wednesday 2 -4 PM ET
    • Note that the call is listed on call calendar only as 1 hour call, since conference center won't let calls overlap
  • Topics

    • Pending resources
    • Working on R5 ballot comments

  • Project page link: 
  • Meetings

    • Every other Wednesday 2-3 ET - ON HOLD
(FHIR in the Lab) Order Workflow project


  • Workflow 
Order Service Catalog
  • Topics
    • Supply chain and Inventory
    • WHO - Product/Trade Item
  • Topics
    • LIVD IG - Ballot Reconciliation 
    • LRI/LOI
    • Lab related topics