ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

OO Main - Meeting Information

Meeting Details

Date: 2/23/2023

Time: 1 - 2PM ET


Meeting Status

Chair:  Hans Buitendijk

Scribe: Hans Buitendijk/ RIki Merrick

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 4) Met 

OO Events 


OO Calls Next 7 Days (check if happening)

  • Order Workflow in FHIR
  • Catalog
  • LAB
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • DME/Acute Order
  • Specimen
  • HCP
  • OO on FHIR
  • Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • IHE SDC/eCC on FHIR 
  • v2-to-FHIR
  • Main Call
  • Nutrition  -TBD

Upcoming Topics/Due Dates



February 23, 2023 WG Call
  • R5 Ballot Reconciliation complete?
February 24, 2023FHIR R5 Ballot Reconciliation and Revisions to the CI Build (i.e., FHIR R5 QA begins)
February 30, 2023 WG Call
March 6, 2023 WG Call
April 10, 2023

September 2023 Ballot - TSC PSS Deadline

May 6, 2023 to May 7, 2023 -HL7 FHIR Connectathon
May 8, 2023 to May 12, 2023 May Working Group Meeting+ and HL7 FHIR Connectathon
May 28, 2023January 2024 Ballot - PMO Deadline




Ralf HerzogRoche
Rob HausamHausam Consulting
Hans BuitendijkOracle
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC / APHL
Yanick GaudetGlobal Star
Sarah GauntLantana
Andrea PitkusUW
Marti VelezisSonrisa / FDA
Jackie Hemenway
Dan RutzEpic
Jose Costa Teixeira
Olga Volk
Bob DieterleEnable Care
Kathy WalshLabcorp
Lorraine ConstableConstable Consulting
Elliot SilverResMed
David Barwin
Alex GoelCAP
Victoria DerbyshireFDA
John MoehrkeGE

Agenda and Notes:


Approve Minutes

    • 2023-01-16-20 WGM - Aim for next week

      • Uploaded missing slide set for PACIO
      • copied some votes from FHIR jiras into the minutes
      • Added link to FHIR R5 OO Block Vote WGM, where missing
    • 2023-02-16 Main - Motion to accept as distributed. Marti Velezis, Kathy Walsh
      • Against: 0; Abstain: 3; In Favor: 11

OO Project Proposal Triage

  • PSS-2157 - Getting issue details... STATUS - Immunization IG V2.5.1 - Riki doesn't think we need to be involved, but would like others to weigh in.

    • Not critical to OO

Other (Project Approvals, NIBs, etc.)

OO on FHIR Meeting Poll

  • New Time Meeting Poll:
    • Looking for a new time to run the OO on FHIR
    • Open until Thursday, February 23, 2023 (to plan for next call week of February 27, 2023).
    • Discussed reorganizing call topics
      • Which calls can we move around? Specimen? OOonFHIR? HCP?
    • Thursdays at 2PM were the best times – but that does not solve moving it for Rob H. (Note: Kathy Walsh and Omar Khan were the others not available at this time)
    • DECISION = None of the new call times work to get all the folks we need, so let’s leave it on Tues 2 PM and re-figure out something else

May 2023 WGM - OO, Joints and WGM+ Coordination

      • OO are requesting rooms for all of the quarters
      • 2/24 - Final room request is due - Submitted with full agenda coverage = every quarter Mon Q1 – Fri Q2: OO WGM 202305 - Agenda
      • WGM+ Schedule
      • Thu Q1 does not work for BR&R, as Vulcan presenting in that timeslot
        • Crossproduct model review
        • Lorraine will share what we have available


  • GTIN Request (can be next time) - applicable to V2 and FHIR (and probalby CDA, too)
    • Introduction sent via email: 

      Add "GTIN" to UniveralIDType ( to be able to specify that a Universal ID is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type.

      This would help to apply to HD Data, EI Data, EIP Data, etc. the Universal ID Type "GTIN", examples are:

      HD based Data (HD-2 (Universal ID) is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type:
      MSH-3 (Sending Application), 
      MSH-5 (Receiving Application), 
      EI based Data (EI-3 (Universal ID) is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type:
      SAC-3 (Container Identifier), 
      SAC-4 (Primary (Parent) Container Identifier)
      EIP based Data (EIP-1-3 and EIP-2-3 (Universal ID) is of "GTIN" Universal ID Type:
      SPM-2 (Specimen ID), 
      SPM-3 (Specimen Parent IDs), etc.

    • Do we also need 'GTIN' added to HL70203 Identifier Type ( - this one is used in CX?
      For EI datatype  what about: PRT-10 (Device ID) and PRT-16 (UDI Device Identifier)?
      For specimen (SPM-2 and SPM-3) I am a little confused about use fo GTIN there - can you elaborate more on the use case there?

V2 Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)


  • UP-44 -no value set content defined for v2 table 963 value set - NOT DISCUSSED
    • We had discussed and taken a vote on this back on 2022-06-10, but I'm not sure at this point if that is still what we actually still will want to do.  If we discuss it again together hopefully we can decide if that is what we want or we can figure out a good alternative plan.

eSignature - NOT DISCUSSED

V2-Jira Review (time permitting) - NOT DISCUSSED

  • V2 Dashboard 
  • Gender Harmony items that have passed GH group vote and have disposition will be sent out for Block Vote soon
ProjectTopicsProject Information
  • Topics:
    • Need to add current topics
  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings
    • Every other Friday, 9-10am ET starting 10/1
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Mondays 1 - 2 PM ET
    • Thursdays 11 - 12 AM EDT

FHIR Projects/Feedback (Updates in BOLD)

JIRA R5 Ballot Ticket Backlog

  • 73 substantive issues for QA build
    • These were not pegged for the R5 ballot
    • Are these build issues that resulted from applying jiras?
    • Are these jiras we have never discussed?
    • Example device.association
      • The related ticket is not completely done – this is for FMM1
    • definition also is such a low FMM
    • We should focus on any resources that are => FMM3
    • We will not worry about examples before tomorrow’s deadline
  • Diagnostic Module vs. Observation / DiagnosticReport placement of parent/child/etc. placement
    • Did the updated language land in the correct place(s)?
    • None of the text needs to go into both observation and DiagnosticReport - but we made decision last week, so stick to that
    • Should the existing diagram in Diagnostic Module be replaced as well?  Or just updated to include GenomicStudy?

  • FHIR-40499 - .instantiates attribute vs. extension discussion
    • Eric Haas asked for DeviceRequest, NutritionOrder, Observation, ServiceRequest to remove the "instantiates" elements? (These have been superseded by several more precise extensions.)  And Lloyd added Task to that list.
    • Observation had it added in R5, so could be easily removed (it's not in R4)
    • Needs discussion and JIRA with conclusion.  Jose may have already pre-applied, but can revert
    • Jose also has a question on needing ObservationDefinition reference in Observation
    • This was submitted just 2 days ago
    • We have a lot of pattern issue with some of our resources following a pattern – this still needs more discussion
    • Motion to find considered for future use – Jose Teixeira, Riki Merrick, no further discussion, against: 0, abstain: 0, in favor: 13
  • FHIR-38904 - Device Association
      • operation
        • operator
        • period
        • status???
    • We did not include status on the ticket – we think it needs to be added prior to tomorrow
    • Why did we not include status in the association backbone similar to how we had it before the move in device.operation using the same value set =
    • So this will result in device.association.operation.status
    • This is the status of the operation within the association – it is a business status
    • What is operation in this context?
      • Device is associated with a person
      • Then you can have operation, like running, not attached etc for the period of the association
    • Motion to include device.association.operation.status 0..1 CodeableConcept same code set/value set ( with example binding.  Marti Velezis / Lorraine Constable
      • Against: 0; Abstain: 1; In Favor: 11

  • FHIR-38903 - DeviceDefinition.regulatoryIdentifier.deviceIdentifier
      • Can we defer this request?
      • This is Marti’s ticket – there will be other changes to deviceDefiniton, which might affect this, so not do this now
      • Motion to consider for further use Marti Velezis, Jose Teixeira, no further discussion, against: 0, abstain: 0, in favor: 11



  • FMG Update
    • Vision Prescription ownership finalizing the transition to OO
      • Paul Knapp request to find time to go over jiras with FM

ProjectTopicsProject Information
DME/Acute Orders/Orders
  • Topics:
    • Expanding scope - see above
    • Overlaps with FHIR in the Lab/Workflow - establishing boundaries for each project

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:
    • Every Monday 12 - 1 PM ET - ON HOLD
  • Topics:

    • Need to add current topics

  • Project Page Link: 
  • Meetings:

    • Every Monday 2 - 3 PM ET
  • Topics
    • Device Associations
    • Intake/Administration/Procedure Consistencies
    • Device Structure
    • otherwise Jira tickets for Device(Defintiion), BDP, Nutrition
  • Topics
    • Treatment Orders discussion - see OO-on-FHIR Meeting minutes from 11/15
      • To standardize Portable Medical Orders/Advance Directives, etc.
      • Patient Care will evaluate ServiceRequest, Consent, CarePlan and follow-up with OO 
    • Looking at PC involvement so we can track down related people on observations – boundary between observation.subject and observation.relatedPerson - familyMemberHistory profile review, FM has similar conversations around subject and beneficiary
    • also should review at Gravity work around sexual orientation
    • VisionPrescription resource ownership - need to update ownership
    • Jira tickets work
Cancer Pathology Reporting
  • Topics
    • IG has been reviewed and approved by FMG with the caveat that it not be published until the MedMorph Reference Architecture IG is published (checking on ETA)
  • Topics
    • Pending IG updates and Publication Request

  • Project page: 
  • Meetings
    • Every Wednesday 2 -4 PM ET
    • Note that the call is listed on call calendar only as 1 hour call, since conference center won't let calls overlap
  • Topics

    • Pending resources
    • Working on R5 ballot comments

  • Project page link: 
  • Meetings

    • Every other Wednesday 2-3 ET - ON HOLD
At-Home Test Reporting FHIR IG
  • Topics:
    • Working on publication (out for review)
(FHIR in the Lab) Order Workflow project


  • Workflow 
Order Service Catalog
  • Topics
    • Supply chain and Inventory
    • WHO - Product/Trade Item
  • Topics
    • LIVD IG - Ballot Reconciliation 
    • LRI/LOI
    • Lab related topics