ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: February 14, 2023

Time: 2PM

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


JD Nolen, Hans Buitendijk, John Moehrke, Rob Hausam, Elliot Silver, Kathy Walsh, Maria Moen, Marti Velezis


  • JIRA Tickets - Backlog
  • Next Meeting


Meeting Notes

  • JIRA Tickets
    • DocumentReference 
      • FHIR-38634 - Raise DocumentReference to FMM 4
      • Applied disposition: Recommend that FMM4 as the changes have been part of use has resulted in the changes to the resource
      • Motion John Moehrke / Hans Buitendijk : 5-1-0
      • Move to Thursday Discussion/Vote
    • DiagnosticReport Narrative update (FHIR-34205, FHIR-34206, FHIR-34207) and they all can be done post R5 publication.  So did not reject them, just did not finish them as they are not part of R5 ballot.
    • FHIR-40263 - Remove basedOn and update relatesTo
      • Added comment for FHIR-I (Lloyd McKenzie ) that DocRef is following the Event pattern for basedOn to relatesTo w/Ref(RelatedArtifact).
      • Chat Question: We'll use DocRef/RelatedArtifact for the form we'll send along with the FHIR bundle when exchanging Portable Medical Orders.  Bridging the gap between paper and digital will require we deliver a familiar human-readable form in addition to the data contained in the FHIR bundle.  Is that a good use case for this ticket?  We don't think that RelatedArtifact should be used; and plan to keep this as is unless otherwise instructed by FHIR-I.
      • Need response from FHIR-I on following the pattern or making the change as proposed
    • FHIR-19250
      • Hans Buitendijk will draft for Thursday or Friday's call; we should get this done for R5 publication
      • US Core has language that we can use/modify:
        • DiagosticReport - discrete results in a structured format
        • DocRef is about scanned narrative, or existing document and non-discrete reporting (e.g., CCDA) 
        • Recognition that there is an overlap; and the consumer should expect both
        • Hans Buitendijk will draft for Thursday or Friday's call; we should get this done for R5 publication
      • Same issue as FHIR-25797 -Improve Boundary Definition for DiagnosticReport vs. DocumentReference
    • FHIR-24671 - Collaborate with SDWG to refine the value set used by DocumentReference.category
      • This category value set has been applied since this request was submitted; consider this pre-applied 
      • John Moehrke / Hans Buitendijk : 7-0-0
    • FHIR-39390 - Allow ObservationDefinition to be subject specific
      • Motion to find Not Persuasive
        • John Moehrke / Marti Velezis : 7-0-0
    • Looking for a new time for the OO on FHIR meetings as this time is difficult for some of the participants
    •  No meeting next week – we will be focused on applying the changes prior to R5 publication.
    • Next Meeting: February 28, 2023

------end of meeting-----