ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date:  February 3, 2023

Time: 1PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)

Co-chair: Ralf Herzog



Ralf Herzog, R. Michael Lingenfelter (BAH/CDC), Jeffrey Bryant Chin, Gelu Comanescu, Scott Fradkin, Kathy Walsh, Rob Hausam, Steve Nichols, Annie Raval, Andrea Pitkus, Marti Velezis, Brian Handspicker, JD Nolen, Jose Costa Teixeira


  • R5 Ballot JIRAs
  • Workflow Topics (if completed R5)
  • AOB?


R5 Ballot Issues


  • FHIR-38633 -Target Awareness Element or Extension
    • RE: Observation, Condition
    • Should this be external to the resource - for all "Status-like" information - this need additional discussion
    • Discussed using "Communication"
    • Still pending resolution - comment to Gay Dolin to find out if this needs to be included in R5 publication as an extension? or can it wait for R5 STU?
    • Sent Gay a direct email on this JIRA and cc: Co-chairs 
  • CR/Examples: 
    • FHIR-32947 - Example has old valuseset
      • Discussion that there may need to be additional work to move this to THO, but that will be taken as a separate action
        • Robert Hausam Please create a separate JIRA/THO request as necessary for the codeSystem to be elevated to THO maintenance


  • FHIR-39141 - Transport reasonCode and reasonReference should be merged to CodeableReference
    • This was discussed that we have been including codableReference for these types of requests and will do so for Transport.reason 
      • Remove 

        • reasonCode (CodeableConcept): Why transport is needed
        • reasonReference (Reference): Why transport is needed

        and replace it with 

        • reason (CodeableReference): Why transport is needed

        with a cardinality of 0..*

    • Motion to find with Persuasive with Modification
      • Rob Hausam / Jose Costa Teixeira: 13 - 0 - 0


  • FHIR-32265 - Support the storage of parameters related to the procedure/devices in the ServiceRequest in a structured way
    • This was deferred to be done in R5 based on previous comment:
    • We will make the following proposed disposition to the submitter (as this is an In Person comment) 
      • Ricardo Quintano and Bas van den Heuvel we have updated the JIRA and added a comment to find out if the following proposed changes are acceptable.

        AttributeCardData TypeComments
        .orderDetail0..*BackboneElementAdditional information about the request
        >>code1..1CodeableConceptIndicates the details of the order being requested
        >>value[x]1..1Quantity | Ratio | Range | boolean | CodeableConcept | string | PeriodIndicates a value for the order detail
        >>Focus0..1CodeableReference (Device | DeviceDefinition | DeviceRequest | SupplyRequest | MedicationRequest | Medication | BiologicallyDerivedProduct | Substance)Indicates the context of the order details by reference 


  • FHIR-38953 - quantitativeDetails is not flexible enough, incomplete and overly complex
    • See comments - Partial proposed resolution
    • From 1/27/2023 Call - For conversions – depending on the use of element 
      • Concern in limiting units to UCUM 
      • Note: This should not be used when different methods are being used
      • This is on the ObservationDefinition (i.e., not specifying the actual (instance) of the observation)
      • Action item to determine the requirement for quantitativeDetails
        • Need to understand how this was intended to be used 
        • Revisit the list of issues noted by the submitter
        • Ralf Herzog will draft an email on customaryUnit
        • Also - consider jurisdiction for the units of measure 
        • Follow-up: Jose Costa-Teixeira applied the change to add the quantitativeDetails in 2017 (will need to inquire if he remembers the update)
    • From 2/3/2023 call
      • That still leaves one topic unaddressed: the conversion factor is not sufficient to describe conversions like Fahrenheit/Celsius or db/db(A)
      • Motion to find Persuasive with Modification
        • Rob Hausam / Jose Costa Teixeira : 12 - 0 - 0 
        • Assign to Jose Costa Teixeira

-----------Adjourned the meeting at 11:03AM EDT------------------

Other Workflow Topics


  • FHIR-40310 - Change Transport.reason element name to something else (confusion) and fixed missing codes for TransportReason