|Becky Gradl||Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics|
- Updated the group on the discussion with the Pharmacy WG on the use of the mediation resource for vitamins/minerals/herbals
- Becky G. and Becky C. attended the Pharmacy WG meeting on 3/2 to revisit if the mediation resource would have the necessary details dietitians need related to vitamins/minerals/herbals
- The Pharmacy WG walked through examples of how the ingredient backbone element can be used to capture more detailed information
- It was also suggested that if a code (UPC code, langual code, etc.) is available an external database could be used to gather the detailed information about the vitamins/minerals/herbals (this would also apply to the NutritionProduct resource related to using codes and external databases)
- The boundary was left that the medication resource will be used for vitamins/minerals/herbals
- Nutrition product will be used nutrition supplements, such as Ensure or Boost
- NutritionProduct Narratives and discussion
- Started brainstorming on the text to add to the "Scope and Usage" and "Boundaries and Relationships" narrative sections
- Scope and Usage:
- The NutritionProduct resource represents the identification of a food or fluid product consumed by patients. The scope of the NutritionProduct resource includes all the products that are understood to be food and beverage products for human consumption.
- Provide level of detail that we are intending to gather with the resource: food item, recipe, etc. and to be able to link out to databases that can provide more of the details of the nutrients/ingredients
- Allergies, texture, characteristics
- NutritionProduct can link to the I/O’s and a consumer-based app for recording intake of specific food products. Can link to the administration details of the I/O’s.
- Used to capture serving size of the product. Unit in measure for the serving size. Essentially the details on the food label.
- Enteral formulas are part of NutritionProducts
- Boundaries and Relationships:
- Parenteral Nutrition is captured under the medication resource
- Vitamins/Minerals/herbals are captured under the medication resource
- Changes needed to NutritionProduct
- the resource needs a field to capture allergens
- the resource needs a field to capture texture
- The resource may need a field to capture menu planning attributes, such as diabetic exchange information, food pyramid classification, etc.
- Margaret suggested reviewing the catalog of all available products put together by Lorraine Constable
- Becky will reach out to Lorraine to get more information on this