Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
HL7 ITS Meeting MinutesDate: 2020-05-05
Facilitator: Paul KnappNote taker(s): Brian Pech

xPaul KnappPKKnapp Consulting
xJeff BrownJBCIGNA
xBrian PechBPKaiser-Permanente

David BoothDBHawaii Group
XMichelle Barry

Bryn RhodesBRDatabase Consulting

Quorum Requirements Met: yes (chair + 2)


  1. Andy is no longer working in the healthcare space and not running for his existing co-chair position.
  2. Jeff Brown will be standing for Andy's position.
  3. PK updates on RDF sub-group efforts; they are making progress on JSON-LD.
  4. Ask RDF to roll up prior minutes, give HL7 a copy for storage on Confluence.
  5. Future RDF minutes should be copied to Confluence/ITS
  6. Changes for Turtle RDF  FhIR specification need to have JIRA tickets approved by ITS, not simply the RDF sub-group.
  7. Do we want to change our call time? Day? 
  8. First Wed. of the month at 3PM EDT seems to work, so we will move calls to then.
  9. Do we need a joint call with FHIR-I in the next couple weeks for converged topics? No issues are apparent. Jeff will check with FhIR-I and get back to us.
  10. Paul in a VA group looking at problems that FHIR might be encountering. There is a document Lloyd put together about recommended exchange mechanisms; InM is looking at it but ITS likely needs to look as well.
    1. It is not clear whether the recommendations cover every conceivable use cases - that is, the context within an organization, or across org. boundaries matter.
    2. Guidance is good, prescriptive universal pronouncements probably not.
    3. Not enough attention to downstream consequences of decisions made in creating implementation guides that cover complex information exchange - more than one resource, an information set.
      1. Send the entire set of resources, so the entire set of resources is sent.
      2. a granular exchange, only send the lead resource which opens the path of the other resources. But this does not work in a guaranteed way because of timing issues - for a given encounter, you will get the resources on the FhIR server now rather than those at the time of encounter creation.  This is result of how FhIR servers function in a default manner.
      3. Consider that delivering the whole bolus of information - the deliverer will know which time related resources are relevant for that graph of resources.
      4. the granular delivery does not do this, it pulls the current version of the resources in the graph. To solve this, the resources could be versioned. 
      5. A client could get a time dimensioned version of a resource graph for a patient but how does the client know the sequence of queries needed to elaborate the relevant information for a disease episode for a specific patient?
      6. Is this a problem? yes.
  11. Next call June 3 at 3 PM EDT


  • Brian Pech update call calendar for next trimester calls
  • Paul Knapp Contact David Booth about note issues, item approval
  • No labels