Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: January 13, 2019

Quarter: 3

Agenda Topics

  1. Opening Announcements and Call to Order (5 min)
    1. Welcome
    2. Welcome new Affiliates
    3. Welcome new Affiliate Chairs
  2. Introductions Round Table (10 min)
      1. Confirm proxies and quorum
      2. Round table introductions
      3. Current Membership = 35
      4. Lapsed members
      5. Quorum for Decisions (40%=14), Directions (33%=12), Financial Decisions (51%=18) 
      6. Lapsed Affiliates
  3. Secretary Report (5 min)
    1. Review of use of Confluence
    2. Review agenda
    3. Reminder to put Affiliate presentation on Confluence
  4. HL7 International Board Report & Welcome (10 min)
  5. CEO Report (10 min)
  6. CTO Report (10 min
  7. TSC Report (10 min)
  8. FHIR Update (10 min)
  9. Regional Reports
    1. HL7 Europe
    2. HL7 Asia
    3. HL7 Latam

Supporting Documents

Minutes/Conclusions Reached

  • Opening Announcements and Call to Order (5 min)
    • Welcome - Melva welcomed everyone, and presented the co-chairs of the IC
    • Welcome new Affiliates - no new Affiliates (yet)
    • Welcome new Affiliate Chairs - no new Affiliate Chairs
  • Introductions Round Table (10 min) - round of introductions around the room/tabels
    • Confirm proxies and quorum - 18 - full quorum achieved
      IC participation: 14 Chairs and 28 Observers
    • Lapsed members
      Lapsed:      HL7 Slovenia                 
                         HL7 Philippines
  • Secretary Report (5 min)
    • Review of use of Confluence - Melva presented the use of Confluence. You need to be a user to be able to use Confluence. Please contact HQ if you are not able to make a user.
      Melva also demonstrated the new vote for eVote. Discussion about whether it is ok to have open voting vs closed voting. For now we will stick to open voting. We might close the votes for others to see if there is a sensitive case being voted for. 
    • Review agenda
    • Reminder to put Affiliate presentation on Confluence
  • HL7 International Board Report & Welcome (10 min) - Calvin Beebe welcomed everyone to San Antonio. Presentation added to documents. 
  • CEO Report (10 min) - Chuck Jaffe presented updates. Presentation added to documents. 
  • CTO Report (10 min - Wayne Kubick presented updates. Presentation added to documents.
    • "Everyone" is on Confluence, wiki will not be deleted - so we will not move everything, but keep it as a reference.
    • Asking the IC to engage a task force to help provide guidelines for incorporate international involvement without loss of sleep.
    • Request for International Council to be the owner of the OID for ICD-11. Motion by Line Saele: "The International Council will be the owner of the ICD-11 OID". Seconded by Giorgio Cangolio. Vote: 12-4-2 
      • The motion carries and International Council will be the owner of the OID.
    • Discussion around the work of HL7 and ISO, and work on agreement to become more than a liaison. 
    • HL7 and JIC - Major question: "Does JIC really help HL7 be seen as more international and less US-centric?" - Discussion on where the road for collaboration of JIC and HL7 is a road to go together. 
    • JIC has changed from the original intentions. Agreement that JIC has a lot of work to do to be of greater value to HL7, still several votes to keep the collaboration. 
    • Motion by Ron Parker:  "IC recommends to the HL7 International Board that HL7 International conditionally continues the participation in the JIC while continuing to raise its' concerns about the focus, mission and governance of the JIC" - second by Ed Hammond. Vote: 18-0-0 Carried.
    • Motion by Christof Gessner:  "IC recommends to the HL7 International Board that HL7 strengthens its' relationship with ISO TC 215 and CEN TC 251" seconded by Line Saele. Vote: 17-0-1 Carried.
  • (Change in Agenda due to time) - Todd Cooper presents Dental initiative. Confluence page to show the work done. Dental Interop Home
    • Please let Todd know if you have any project that the Dental Interop should know about! Also see the HL7 News!

Date: January 13, 2019

Quarter: 4

Agenda Topics

Supporting Documents

Minutes/Conclusions Reached

  • FHIR Update - Grahame Grieve came to give a quick FHIR update. FHIR R4 released! (applause!)
    • Evaluation in the marked of how many updates FHIR should have. 
    • Implementation guides will be a major focus to support implementers. 
    • Infrastructural implementation guides will also be developed.
  • TSC Report (10 min) - Austin Kreisler - presentation in documents. 
    • New calendar in Confluence - HL7 Calendars
    • PSS Deadline Changes from September 2019 ballot cycle.  Projects needs to be approved through TSC by April 7th. 
  • Realm Specific vs. Universal Realm Projects
    • Single Realm, Multi Realm, Universal Realm - how to name the difference between a project developed from one realm, from projects with requirements and participation from more than one realm.
  • Regional Reports
    • HL7 Europe
      • Giorgio presents, presentation in documents. between HL7 Europe and CEN/TC251.
      • Trillium 2 - Extending the IPS. 
  • ADDC update - Line gave a short update on the upcoming Affiliate - Saudi Arabia. ADDC would welcome one new member - contact Line if you will serve on ADDC. 
  • Affiliate presentation - The Netherlands presented by Robert Stegwee - presentations in the documents section
  • Thursday Agenda Topics - Melva
    • Distribution of vocabulary translations - Change to Affiliate Agreement (Christof)
    • Financial support for work on RM-ODP at ISO (Christof)
    • Affiliate Health Metrics (Line)
    • 2021 WGM - proposals for International meeting
    • Meeting Schedule - do we need to add back a quarter or go to an all-day meeting? Other options?
    • Volunteers to help to develop guidelines for use of Confluence for collaboration
    • Zulip stream for IC?
    • OID for ICD-11 - individual to work with Ted to create OID
    • Universal vs Realm specific - questions from TSC
    • Summary Slides for WGM - make sure they are sent to Mary Ann to be included in slides during lunch.

Date: January 17, 2019

Quarter: 3

Agenda Topics

Supporting Documents

Minutes/Conclusions Reached

  • Quorum reach - 19 attending or proxy. Moving a bit on the agenda to allow Virginia time to get to tutoriall as speaker.  Melva will step out in Q4 for a bit - Line or Peter take over as chair.
  • Virginia presents from PAC. Patricia Gerber in the staff is supporting PAC. If any of the Affiliate has questions or need to discuss policy - please reach out.
  • Melva Peters Agenda item for PAC on Sunday in May, Montreal.
  • Presentation from Ken McCaslin on the First Time Attendees (FTA) tutorials. Webinars before the WG. Mentors will need to be more active. Need Mentors from non-US base. 
    • Making a Mentor Confluence page, with Mentors "Superpower" presentation. Affiliate representatives as Mentors. Diego Kaminker volunteered as a Mentor. 
  • Approval of minutes: Motion by Ron Parker, second by Ed Hammond: 18-0-1
  • Work group planning.
    • 2021 WGM - proposals for International meetings. Not all board members support international meetings, as all international meetings has so far lost a great deal of money. 
    • The 2020 February in Sydney is good because HL7 Australia is going to cover all cost. No other affiliate has come up with the same proposal. 
      • Peter Jordan: Will the HL7 International be truly international, or will it be a US centric organization. Why do we have a drop each May in attendance. 
      • Line states it is in the history - US based, and still 2/3 of our WGM is still in US. Of course there is more attendance from US. 
      • We need to embrace those participating, and still have international meetings. 
    • Mikael from Sweden says cost in Gothenburg is a lot lower than other suggestions. 
  • Updates from the African Project - by Abdul Malik Shair. 
    • New name in the committee - Ron Parker. Update on the Charter. (se files for this meeting).
  • IHIC presentation by Christof Gessner. IHIC has changed focus a bit away from the strong Scientific approach they used to have. 
    • Traditionally HL7 Germany has been the supporters of IHIC, Bernd Blobl and Frank Oemig has done a great deal of work. As IHIC has changed, HL7 Germany will no longer support IHIC in this area.
    • Maybe a name change? No one in the room was against keeping IHIC, but if a new catching name is suggested, it will be appreciated. 
    • Giorgio: Should we be using money from IC to more activity that supports Affiliate activities - rather than activities that has been supported "for years". 
  • Affiliate Health 
    • Line reviewed the discussions of the sub-committee looking at the obligations of the Affiliates
    • Strategies:
      • Discussion of whether there should be different kinds of participation for affiliates
      • Roeland: Potential for participation of Affiliates remotely during WGM
      • Diego: Help Affiliates to create income - for example, when eLearning was developed - given to Affiliates to support them in making money
      • Robert: Have web meetings outside of the WGM
      • Ed:  Change some of the perspective of what the Affiliates will be.  Consider getting government commitment when establishing an Affiliate.  Value proposition
      • Peter:  regional relationships and meetings
      • Frank: Burden to participate is very low.  Often no response to emails or any reporting.  Not sure why this is happening
    • Tactics
      • Create a Confluence page with affiliates rights and obligations
      • Establish some kind of mentorship / indirect participation
      • If don't respond and don't pay - will end up in lapsed status
      • Discussion:
        • Maybe need about 3 contact points for affiliates
          • Mikael: Why should we "parent' them?  Can't build an Affiliate based on one person.
        • Giorgio: There are different cultures and attitudes
          • How best to take advantage of "weak" affiliates
        • Melva:  Maybe there is a way to have Affiliates participate in regional Affiliate meetings through HL7 Asia, Latam, etc
        • Ed:  Affiliate status as a region rather than a particular country (e.g. Latin America)
          • focus on the localizations
          • value of the affiliate; value proposition
          • representatives could attend the International WGM - may be a more effective way
        • Peter: regional representation for each area 
    • Obligations
      • Mikael: is there a possibility that a proxy could be assigned as part of the annual report
      • Peter:  proxy is often assigned to get complimentary registration for the WGM
    • Next steps
      • connect this work to the next version of the Affiliate Agreement (end of 2019)
      • some of this could be tied to the work of the Board in developing a new business model
        • role of the Affiliates in implementation
      • Line Saele  to make health metrics - could use what was developed as part of the International Task Force
      • Melva Peters to ask Pat/Karen to provide report from ITF
      • Need to decide what we want to measure
      • Look at overall contribution of the Affiliates to HL7 International
      • Add some affiliate health measures to the Annual report


Date: January 17, 2019

Quarter: 4

Agenda Topics

  • Distribution of vocabulary translations - Change to Affiliate Agreement
  • Financial support for work on RM-ODP at ISO
  • Affiliate Presentation - HL7 Norway
  • Affiliate Presentation - HL7 Canada
  • Plenary International Presentation
  • IC Logistics
  • Topics for May meeting
  • Volunteers to help to develop guidelines for use of Confluence for collaboration
  • OID for ICD-11 - individual to work with Ted to create OID
  • Universal vs Realm specific - questions from TSC
  • Closing Remarks and Reminders (5 min)

Supporting Documents

Minutes/Conclusions Reached

  • Affiliates and Translations - presentation from Cristof Gessner
    • Sharing translated HL7 vocabulary designation across borders in Europe
    • Reply from HQ - statement was meant for translating the standard, not the vocabulary. 
    • Affiliates should provide vocabulary translations to HL7 HQ. They are to be the source of truth and will provide a library of translations.
    • Motion: To review the translation sections the Affiliate Agreement using this example as background Moved by: Cristof Gessner, second by Ed Hammond: 18-0-0
    • Affiliate Agreement: This will be put on the agenda for IC in May Melva Peters 
  • Support for ISO project - Cristof Gessner
    • Ask for support for Bernd Blobl in travel to ISO meeting for project ISO 23903 "Interoperability Reference Architecture Model"
    • Not full support from IC. Cristof will take this to HL7 Germany for reconsideration. 
  • HL7 Norway - Line
    • See presentation
  • HL7 Canada - Ron
    • see presentation
  • IC Logistics
    • Meeting Schedule - do we need to add back a quarter or go to an all-day meeting? Other options?
      • Ron - Affiliate role should take a higher priority than other roles
      • Sundays - more presentations and Thursdays more of a business meeting
      • More time on Thursday - add Q2
      • Keep Sundays to presentations - Affiliate presentations
      • Suggest CEO, CTO and TSC update only be done if there is something specific to Affiliates
    • Summary Slides for WGM - make sure they are sent to Mary Ann to be included in slides during lunch.
    • Zulip stream for IC?
      • not for now
    • When registering for Sunday IC - make sure you check that you are attending the Sunday meeting
  • Topics for May meeting
    • Review of pharmacy work 
    • Update from PAC
    • African Projects
    • Affiliate Presentations
    • Plenary International Presentation
  • Volunteers to help to develop guidelines for use of Confluence for collaboration
    • Melva Peters will ask Wayne to email International Admin list when Confluence page is set up
  • OID for ICD-11 - individual to work with Ted to create OID
  • Universal vs Realm specific - questions from TSC
    • more discussions taking place
  • Closing Remarks and Reminders (5 min)