Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

This page will be used to post CTO and project team updates related to key tooling and process improvement projects, including the use  of Confluence and Jira Collaboration software at HL7.  Additional Updates are published in HL7 News and The Standard .

Process Improvement Roadmap - September 20, 2021


July 2020 CTO Tooling Update

Yikes!  Mid-summer already and once again your friendly CTO has dropped the ball on keeping you updated on all that's happening.  Which is not to say that there's nothing to talk about.  Here are a few key points - with more to come in coming weeks at webinars and eNews (I really mean it this time):

  • Unified Terminology Governance (UTG) continues to be the prime directive.  The UTG process has now replaced harmonization, and while training materials are being developed, debugging continues, and content continues to be updated and improved at, we have turned the corner so that the vast terminology resources of HL7 are now visible and available to support all of our standards development activities.  Check out the excellent UTG webinar to learn more!
  • Oniine PSS Workflow - the task force is nearly ready to unveil a new, streamlined form and process with concurrent reviews and a simpler approval process.  We can expect some hiccups as we rollout, as usual, but I think we're all ready to make the transition to help us get projects started with much less effort and delay in Fall 2020.
  • We're soon to unveil a new Confluence page to record a running log of leadership decisions and process and tooling changes, similar to the Standups page
  • Josh has set up a new system to store documents that will link to Confluence pages, but allow us to keep space-consuming presentations, pdf and Word files in a separate document repository.  This will keep Confluence performance up and ensure easy access to Workgroup documents - and allow us to archive key documents still posted in the documents tab for WG pages at  You'll learn more about this soon.
  • We'll be setting up a demo of the new, improved FHIR Registry with advanced search features for FHIR IGs and profiles before the WGM.  Stay tuned for details.

As you can see, many things are in progress, with more to come.   Stay tuned for further details as we move closer to the September WGM.

March 2020 CTO Tooling Update

A lot has happened since our last update, and the world is changing before our eyes in the face of a pandemic.  I have sent out some recent emails and posted a general tooling update on The Standard that summarizes recent developments with introducing Zoom, merging our chat streams, and other activities to continue our simplification initiative throughout HL7.  This blog post also discusses our plans to implement UTG this spring and expand rollout of JIRA for all issue tracking and eventually to support balloting.  While our transition to Confluence is now complete, we're still working to relocate a few more Wikis, and new pages have been created to support tooling activities (like use of Zoom) as well as to collect useful information relevant to HL7's response to the COVID-19 crisis. Confluence continues to be our source of truth, with new reference sites like the FHIR Accelerator Reference Page and new Co-Chair Handbook.  

We'll continue to be providing additional tools, tips sheets and training materials to help you make the most of your precious time with HL7.

November 2019 CTO Tooling Update

JIRA Updates:

As promised, we have now scheduled the migration of FHIR tracker items from GForge to JIRA for this coming weekend, November 15-17. We expect to be using JIRA exclusively for FHIR tracking tickets by Monday, Nov. 18.  

To ensure that we migrate all Tracker items to JIRA, FHIR GForge Tracker will be locked to read-only at precisely 8pm EST on Friday, November 15 - no one will be able to enter or update FHIR tracker items in GForge after that time so we can ensure all content is migrated to JIRA.  

For those of you who are new to JIRA, a set of brief webinars on the basics of using JIRA have been posted at .  We believe you’ll find JIRA to be intuitive and natural, but we’ll be adding additional documentation and tips over time to this page to help improve your experience.  

In the future, all HL7 work groups and projects will be expected to use JIRA as our standard issue tracking tool. We will not be supporting use of GitHub tracking, so any projects using that are advised to begin transitioning to JIRA.  Once the FHIR migration is completed, we’ll be getting in touch with other WGs to complete migration of any remaining GForge Tracker items.  

So this is an exciting milestone in our quest for improved tooling at HL7.  I’d like to especially thank Lloyd McKenzie and the JIRACon team (Lorraine Constable, Jean and Marc Duteau, Josh Procious, David Johnson and Patrick Lloyd  in particular) for making this migration possible.  And thanks to those of you who cleared up your remaining Tracker items in time to allow this to proceed as planned.

September 2019 CTO Tooling Update


  • A Working Group Meeting Information page is now available for the Atlanta WGM and will be updated for all future WGMs.  This includes links to individual WG agendas as well as other general information (such as eb Seaid to first-timers).  This page is consistent with the EventMobi app.
  • The Confluence and JIRA apps are being migrated to Amazon Web Services cloud hosting, which will improve availability and scalability.
  • Testing of JIRA to replace Tracker has been successfully completed.  The TSC will soon release plans for migrating issue tracking from Tracker to JIRA later this year.
  • Additional spaces have been recently defined for several new Accelerator projects and other initiatives. 
  • Remember to check for other news updates.

June 2019 CTO Tooling Update


  • Single Sign On (SSO) between Confluence and Jira has been established. This will remove the need to log in twice when navigating between the two sites. This is facilitated by Atlassian's Crowd user management software.

March 2019 CTO Tooling Update

Confluence Updates:

  • All work groups have now been migrated to Confluence, and additional spaces have also been created for several other projects, committees and collaborations – Confluence is now the official single source of truth platform for HL7 standards development activities and operations.
  • Confluence Upgraded to 6.14.1
    • Upgraded Search Function. Full site content index to include attachments. (big improvement)
    • Quick refine search results
    • Editing improvements. Cursor functionality patch and importing/copying/pasting while in edit mode smoothing. (likely will solve a lot of issues people are having where they paste something on a page and disappears).
  • Page layout improvements have been implemented and a listing of major spaces is now available at a reorganized
  • A new set of FAQs and additional how-to articles are also available under HL7 Documentation and Help.
  • Work is underway to create a style guide to help users design their pages with less irritation and more consistency, so a visit to a new WG is less like a trip to a foreign country
  • And additional new webinars have been added to the Help library, with tips on page layout, autoconvert, and sharing among other things.  

As always, if you can think of ways to improve our offerings, please click on the feedback links to tell us what you think.  (We can take it.)

JIRA Tracking

The FHIR community is leading the transition to adopt JIRA tracking to replace GForge.  We’ve agreed that building comfort and familiarity with JIRA is a useful pre-requisite to making the transition to JIRA Balloting, though we still expect to begin balloting in JIRA later this year once we complete our system testing. We expect to provide more info about this by the Montreal WGM.

 Other Confluence and JIRA projects:

  • Testing on the new JIRA Ballot Project has again been delayed while conversion to JIRA tracking begins.  We’ll be providing additional details on piloting in Montreal.   
  • Initial pilot testing of the Unified Terminology Governance process and tooling will be commencing later in Q1.  We’ll be providing more details on the rollout in Montreal.  

See the May HL7 Newsletter for additional tooling updates.

November 2018 CTO Tooling Update

Confluence Updates:

  • ~85% of HL7 Workgroups have now been migrated to Confluence.  For those of you who haven’t made the cut-over yet, please do sign up for schedule migration with Joshua Procious, HL7 Application Manager.

  • The HL7 Documentation and Help space has been consolidated and has new content pretty much every week regarding some little how-to or another

  • Improvements to attendance log to accommodate more simultaneous users

  • Workflow has been added to the online PSS.  Pilot testing continues, and we’re planning to demonstrate in San Antonio.

  • Two new quick webinars with helpful hints(to join the 3 previously released):

There are feedback links in the description of each webinar where a user can say how they liked it and suggest/submit future webinar content so please tell us what you think.

Webmaster Confluence & JIRA System Updates:

  • New, improved account registration procedure now in place
  • Jira has been Updated to 7.12.0 (new sleeker look, and additional Database support)
  • Confluence's memory has been adjusted to 3g so show a significant speedup in responsiveness despite user load.  

More on Transition Plans

For now, we’re continuing to make use of Confluence optional, but to achieve our goal of greater consistency among all HL7 work groups, we’ll be seeking to get all committees in the new environment and begin posting all new WG content in Confluence by early 2019.  While we’ll continue to maintain access to MediaWiki, we would like to see all new WG process content in Confluence by the Montreal WGM if possible.  We’re also using this opportunity to try to focus on migrating only current, important content to make it easier for all to find what’s really essential. 

Of course, we recognize that introducing new systems can be an initial cause of disruption and angst, especially since we’re complicating the environment with yet more choices on where to locate relevant information.  So here are a few guidelines for where we’d like to be before the end of 2019:

  • All meeting agendas, minutes, and decision logs should be in Confluence 
  • Most documents and forms should also be in Confluence, which should be used for most document management
  • We’ll be providing guidance on how to use GitHub for source control and release management
  • Eventually, all new work in progress and source code should be either in the HL7 space on GitHub or Confluence.
  • Materials restricted to member’s only should continue to be posted to
  • We’ll seek to move away from GForge by end of 2019, though we’ll archive historical information for future reference.

We’ll continue to use hyperlinks to navigate easily between, confluence and MediaWiki.  Again, we’ll be providing further details soon.

JIRA Tracking

The advent of the new JIRA ballot system will introduce most HL7 members to JIRA beginning in 2019.  Recognizing JIRA’s advanced features for issue tracking and work management, we expect to begin migrating work groups currently using Tracker to JIRA tracking early next year as well.  Stay tuned for more details.

Other Confluence and JIRA projects:

  • Testing on the new JIRA Ballot Project has again been delayed due to the FHIR R4 re-ballot.  We’re now looking to begin piloting in the next ballot cycle in April 2019.  
  • Ted Kleinwill be holding a Birds of a Feather session in San Antonio on the Unified Terminology Governance process and tooling in San Antonio. He expects to begin initial pilot testing in Q1.  


September 2018 CTO Tooling Update

One of the main benefits -- and risks -- of Confluence is transparency.  Although I promised to maintain regular updates in my May 3, 2018 post, it’s all too obvious how I have been remiss.  So, let me begin with an apology, and a more sincere promise to be more communicative in the future as major developments occur. 

Meanwhile, despite my radio silence and after a hiatus proving Hofstadter’s law, a great deal has happened since that last update.

Help has arrived! 

We are very pleased and fortunate to welcome Joshua Procious as our new Applications Manager.  Please be sure to introduce yourself.  Josh will be supporting HL7 tools, including Confluence and JIRA, and will be joining us in Baltimore, where he’ll be conducting a Confluence training session Q0 Tuesday and be available for consultation throughout the week.  

New Confluence features now available from the JIRACON project team:

Webmaster Confluence & JIRA System Updates:

  • Additional Server memory upgrades to improve performance
  • Implementation of SSL
  • New Development environments for both Confluence and JIRA
  • Confluence System Update to Version 6.11 with many new features (including group editing). 

Transition Plans

For those of you not yet using Confluence, we’re now working to actively move you over. Co-Chairs will be able to sign-up to schedule migration of their WGs to Confluence over the next several months.  Use of Confluence is highly encouraged wherever practical but not mandatory at this point -- we’ll continue to maintain MediaWiki for the foreseeable future, especially for sites where migration may be impractical, and we intend for it to be available on an ongoing basis as a historical archive.  

For those of you who are already using Confluence and don’t want to disrupt your current space design, please contact Josh who will work with you to get you easy access to the new templates.  It will also be helpful to watch the webinars if you can.

For those of you who still aren’t ready to deal with anything like this now, you get a pass, though we’ll revisit you in San Antonio.

Other Confluence and JIRA projects:

  • The new JIRA Ballot Project has now entered formal testing (thanks to Lloyd McKenzie and Jean Duteau) and we’re expecting to begin piloting this on select December ballots.  
  • Ted Klein will be demoing the Unified Terminology Governance process and tooling in Baltimore, and we’re expecting to begin a beta pilot in January.  
  • The online PSS form will be entering a formal pilot later this year.  We expect this transition to online forms for many internal processes to add more transparency and improve process efficiency for all parties. More online forms are on the way. 

New home page for 

HQ will be rolling out a fresh new 21stCentury home page at the Baltimore WGM.  Prepare to be amazed how an old dog can be taught new tricks!

Remote Connectivity

Finally, a few words on remote connectivity.  We tested a potential new process for allowing remote connectivity at two prior WGMs.  Unfortunately, the experience was ultimately disappointing.  The connections were time-consuming and problematic to set up with many challenges due to different hardware and networking issues, and were generally unreliable and more frustrating than effective.  As a result, we have concluded that HQ simply can’t provide adequate support to offer this as a service for future WGMs.  However, co-chairs who wish to allow remote connections for certain sessions are welcome to do so using their own facilities.

And don’t forget Zulip Chat!

if you’re still not using, time to be woke.  Remember, contains chat for the FHIR Community. is for the rest of us to discuss other HL7 topics.  The Zulip client allows you to access both streams.  


May 3, 2018 CTO Update

New Confluence features now available from JIRACON project team:

  • Improved instructions on setting up an account and getting started at  
  • Workgroup quick start package of default templates (boiler plates) now available
  • Confluence WGM attendance log streamlined for use at Cologne WGM
  • 2 Informative webinars to be offered week of May 21 and recorded for future reference:  Confluence for General Users and Co-Chairs Guide to Using Confluence.

System updates completed in April by Webmaster:

  • Host reconfiguration completed -- no longer requires specification of port number 8080 on URL.  Check that your links point to the new official URLs:
  • Server upgrades to improve performance
  • Confluence System Update to Version 6.8.1
  • JIRA System Update to Version 7.9
  • PostGres Database update to Version 9.5
  • Setting up development environment for both products.

Work on Online PSS, JIRA Balloting and Unified Terminology projects continues.

Other:  Zulip Update

On another note, if you’re not using, you should be.  Now that we’ve had time to pilot Zulip for awhile, we’ve eliminated the requirement that you receive an invitation before joining a stream.  Now you can elect to join any public stream.  You can register by going to

Remember, remains for the FHIR Community. is for the rest of us to discuss other topics.  The Zulip client allows you to access both streams.

  • No labels