The TSC FHIR Management Group (FMG) provides day-to-day oversight of FHIR-related work group activities including performing quality analysis, monitoring scope and consistency with FHIR principles and aiding in the resolution of FHIR-related intra and inter-work group issues.
The FMG will focus its energy on enabling the following:
- FHIR development is coordinated and consistent across the organization
- Work groups have timely feedback and guidance and their development products are aligned with the broader goals of HL7 and its constituent communities
- Work groups act in a coordinated manner with quick resolution of disputes
- Work groups understand what is expected of them and have the breadth of domain knowledge, skills and tools necessary to perform their work
The FMG, through its structure, processes and activities will manage the following risks:
- Work Group solutions diverge in resource and profile development
- Work Groups do not coordinate development activities as they should
- Tools do not meet requirements of development
- Development space is not used correctly (e.g. subversion)
- Ballot processes don’t meet needs of work groups and/or community
- Stakeholders are not sure how to engage with the organization
- Work Groups are not able to balance workload of FHIR and other activities
Additional constraints on membership include:
- At least two members must be Affiliate members.
- At least one member must be a co-chair or active member of MnM.
Terms will be 2 years and renewable at the discretion of the TSC. Member terms are staggered such that approximately 50% of the member terms expire in a given year.
The Co-Chairs of the FMG will be determined by the members of the group each time the membership composition changes or a position is renewed.
The FMG is composed of seven to ten members with vote:
- The chair of the SGB – ex officio
- The HL7 Chief Technical Officer (CTO) ex officio
- Four members who are co-chair or active participants in each of the four steering divisions (one from each steering division)
- Each member is appointed by the TSC with consideration of the recommendations of the SGB and the respective steering division.
- One member to represent the “international” perspective appointed by the TSC with consideration of the recommendations of the SGB and the Affiliate Council.
- Up to three additional ad-hoc members appointed by the TSC based on their technical, organizational and/or management expertise with consideration of the recommendations of the SGB
Formal Relationships With Other HL7 Groups
- Most members of the FMG are appointed by the HL7 Technical Steering Committee (TSC).
- The FMG reports to the TSC via the SGB. Appeals of FMG decisions may be submitted to the SGB.
- The FMG coordinates its activities with and through the TSC HL7 Architecture Program.
- The FMG provides advice and recommendations to the SGB and is monitored and is evaluated by the SGB
- The FMG uses guidelines and rules developed by the Modeling & Methodology (MnM) Work Group according to precepts developed by SGB. FMG will develop its own processes for management of FHIR to ensure that the guidelines, rules and precepts are adhered to.
Formal Relationship With Groups Outside of HL7
The FMG has no formal relationships with groups outside HL7.