Committee Approval Date:
Public Health Work Group: Oct 8, 2020
Sarah Gaunt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributing or Reviewing Work Groups:
Public Health Work Group
FHIR Development Project Insight ID:
Scope of coverage:
The resources included in this IG are those that are common to multiple Vital Records IGs (at this point - Birth and Fetal Death Reporting and Birth Defects Reporting). The IG was created in order to avoid defining the same profiles multiple times in different IGs.
Proposed IG realm and code:
National Center for Health Statistics will be responsible for ongoing maintenance through the Public Health Work Group.
Library containing profiles used by other Vital Records IGs such as Birth and Fetal Death Reporting and Birth Defects Reporting.
The Vital Records Common FHIR Profile Library is not a stand-alone IG. The contained profiles are used in other Vital Records IGs such as Birth and Fetal Death Reporting and Birth Defects Reporting. It is a mechanism to enable easy re-use of profiles across IGs and prevent multiple copies of profiles in different IGs.
National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)
Three states (Georgia, Michgan, and Utah) are involved in the pilot program for Birth and Fetal Death Reporting (which re-uses these profiles), along with Genesis Systems, Altarum, and Epic. All of the aforementioned entities participated in the FHIR Connectathon 25 (see Birth & Fetal Death Reporting (BFDR) for details).
- U.S. Standard Certificate of Live Birth (rev. 2003)
- Deletion of Data Items from the Birth and Fetal Death National Files
- Mother's Worksheet for Child's Birth Certificate
- Facility Worksheets Guide
- Vital Records Mortality and Morbidity Reporting FHIR Implementation Guide
This IG is not a stand-alone IG.
- work on the IG began in early 2020
- tested at FHIR Connectathon in September 2020
- STU ballot in January 2021
- ballot reconciliation Jan - May 2021
- STU publication spring/summer 2021