DeviceUsage[edit | edit source]
Owning committee name[edit | edit source]
Contributing or Reviewing Work Groups[edit | edit source]
- Pharmacy Workgroup (John Hatem) - MedicationUsage
- Devices Workgroup (John Rhoads)
- Clinical Decision Support Workgroup (Bryn Rhodes)
- Clinical Quality Information Workgroup (Floyd Eisenberg)
FHIR Resource Development Project Insight ID[edit | edit source]
Scope of coverage[edit | edit source]
This resource records the use of a healthcare-related device by a patient. The record is the result of a report by the patient, provider, or related person of a device's current, past, or future use or non-use. The resource can be used to note the general use (or non-use) of an device used by a patient such as a wheelchair or hearing aid, a contraceptive such an intra-uterine device, or other implanted devices such as a pacemaker. However, this resource would not be used when a device's use is documented as part of the actual performance of a service or procedure such as devices used to perform a therapy, lab test, procedure (e.g., robotics, implantable device) document, monitoring, etc.
For now, use by other parties than patients is considered out of scope, but may be considered in the future.
The DeviceUsage does not address the documentation of steps in the logistics process from request to delivery, nor the documentation of the use of a device in the performance of a service, observation, or procedure as that relates to the following resources:
- SupplyRequest - Used for the actual request of a device by a person (practitioner, patient, caregiver), organization, or device for logistical movements without it being requested for a specific patient.
- DeviceRequest - Used for actual requesting a device by a person (practitioner, patient, caregiver), organization, or device for use by a particular patient or as part of a procedure for a particular patient.
- DeviceDispense (planned) - Used to assign a specific device to a patient or other party, e.g., when a DME is allocated to a particular patient. The device may still need to be shipped to the patient, but at time of dispense it is considered to be allocated to that particular patient.
- SupplyDelivery - Used for the management of the delivery of a device or other supply items without considering the specific patient it would be for.
- Observation - Used to record the device use of the device to perform the observation, e.g., test kit, analyzer, imaging or radiation device. Note that in prior standards device usage may have been communicated in the observation segment (HL7 v2) or result entry (C-CDA). With FHIR that is intended to be mapped to DeviceUsage.
- Procedure - Used to record the use of a device as part of the performance of procedure, e.g., robotics, monitor, or is the focus of the procedure, e.g., implanting or explanting a device.
DeviceMetric - Used to document the static properties, such as settings, of the device.
- Questionnaire/QuestionnaireResponse - Used for questions where the answer may reflect DeviceUsage where it involves the use of a device as defined here.
Furthermore, the DeviceUsage resource is not meant for use for tracking the current location of a device beyond understanding the patient who is using the device.
RIM scope[edit | edit source]
Resource appropriateness[edit | edit source]
Resource to record the general use of devices by patient are necessary in healthcare. While certain use can be derived from procedures, requests, and references, the patient or other care team provider may provide indication that they have used, use, or plan to use a device of a particular kind, or specific instance. It may also include documentation of device use where full documentation of the procedure or service during which the device was used is not available, or where there is ongoing use like wheelchair, glasses, etc.
Expected implementations[edit | edit source]
Content sources/reference[edit | edit source]
- FHIR Event Pattern as source
- FHIR MedicationUsage Resource as reference
Example Scenarios[edit | edit source]
1) The resource can be used to note the patient reported use of a
- a wheelchair
- hearing aid
- an implanted devices such as a pacemaker.
- insulin pump
- IV Pump
- a home health application
- wearable device.
2) The resource can be used to note the patient reported non-use of a
- a wheelchair
- any implanted devices
- hearing aid
- certain wearable device.
Resource Relationships[edit | edit source]
- Patient as the subject and/or the information source
- Device as the specific device being used
- DeviceDefinition as kind of device being used
- Task referencing a DeviceUsage
- Practioner, PractitionerRole, RelatedPerson, or Organization as an information source
- Observation, Condition, DiagnosticReport or DocumentReference as a reason
- BodyStructure as codeable reference on where the device is being used/implanted
- Encounter or EpisodeOfCare for context
- ServiceRequest, Procedure, Claim, Observation, QuestionnarieResponse, or DocumentReference that the use statement is derived from
- ServiceRequest that the use statement is based on
Timelines[edit | edit source]
Follows the regular FHIR version flow.
gForge Users[edit | edit source]
Jose Costa Texeira