Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:  Robert Dieterle

Scribe: Michele Galioto 

NOTE: This attendance applies if you are present at the related meeting/call, regardless if you have signed a different attendance for your WG. 







Alex KonturONC

Chetan JainOptum

Bruce SchreiberMedAllies

Cooper ThompsonEpic

Greg Meyer



Jeff BrownMITRE

Liz SheffieldCigna/Evernorth


Sonja ZieglerOptum



Brianna MathiowetzMITRE

Matt Carroll

Alex MuggeCMS
xOpen City Labs

Stephen Konya ONC

Project Unify

Ron Urwongse 


Jaffer Traish

Kevin Van Aucker

Dan ChaputIndependent


Seth Blumenthal AMA

Jamie SmithIQVIA

Abigail Watson MITRE

Booz Allen

Douglas DeShazo Seneca Global



Serafina Versaggi 

Lenel James BCBSA


Rachel E. Foerster Rachel Foerster & Associates

Alberto S. Llanes FEHRM


Jim HaleyArkansas Blue Cross

Nancy Lush Patient Centric Solutions


Justin EdelmanCAQH

Sorin DavisCAQH


Smile Digital Health

Lauree Tu  

Erin Clements 

Mark WholeyPatient Centric Solutions

Mel Combs-Dyer Mettle Solutions

UC Davis Health

Liz Turi ONC

Shaumik AshrafMITRE
xElevance Health


Momeena Ali

CVS Health/ Aetna

Joseph Shook 


Dave Vaillancourt

Mahesh Patil

xRick Lisseveld AEGIS

Rosaline Shaw


Elevance Health

Independent Health

Thomas Zhou AH

Steve AtwoodAthena
xJames Derrickson

Jackie HemenwayUPMC

Daniel LilavoisAetna/CVS Health

Crystal KallemPOCP / FAST PMO

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Agenda Outline

Agenda Item

Meeting Minutes from Discussion

Decision Link(if not child)
ManagementHL7 Antitrust StatementProfessional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

HL7 Code of Conduct

Meeting Minute Approval

2023-01-05 National Directory Meeting

Approved by unanimous consent

Project Links

Project Page: National Healthcare Directory

Project Scope Statement: National Healthcare Directory PSS

Implementation Guides:

Connectathon: 2023- 01 FAST National Directory of Healthcare & Da Vinci Plan Net

Zulip Channel:

Predecessor work that this effort builds upon:


Sept 2022 Ballot Cycle Milestones

Ballot VotingComplete
Ballot ReconciliationIn Progress

Tentative: May 2023 Ballot Cycle Milestones

Notice of Intent to Ballot (NIB)February 19, 2023
Sept 2022 Ballot Reconciliation CompleteMarch 13, 2023


Save the Date! January HL7 Working Group Meeting & Connectathon

CMS Advancing Interoperability and Improving Prior Authorization Processes Proposed Rule (CMS-0057-P)

This proposed regulation cover areas like Patient Access API, Payer to Payer Exchange, Handling Prior Authorization, etc.

Administrative Simplification: Adoption of Standards for Health Care Attachments Transactions and Electronic Signatures, and Modification to Referral Certification and Authorization Transaction Standard Proposed Rule (CMS-0053-P)

This is the long awaited attachments rule from the Division of National Standards. It contains follow on requirements in the Accountable Care Act that mandated that CMS establish a standard for exchange of attachments compatible with HIPAA transactions. 



Ming identified gaps in extensions: Bob and Ming discussed in an attempt to reconcile outstanding issues with consolidated IG (underlying and associated standards) 

  • NDH Digital Certificate - digital certificate as an overall collection of types of uses; didn't carry this forward to IG. Defined specific places where you would record digital certificate for exchange. Reintroduced this with 3 uses (authentication of individual/org, assign certificate, provide digital cert) to whatever CA is to extend digital certificate. Put digital certificate back in with 3 uses, externalize expiration date. Easy determination if certificate is going to expire. Does not replay certificate in endpoint resource
  • Care Team: Annotation to add organization through role vs. individual. 
  • New patient profile - characteristic of new patient but 'accepting new patients' extensions has 1 more element. Accepting new patients conditioned by what network they are part of, characteristics was e.g., age range, diagnosis, general spectrum of qualifications. However, other items in qualifications that could be conditioned by the network (e.g., accepting family members) so we left characteristic inside 'accepting new patients'. Combining them into 1 extension allows flexibility inside the network or network standalone. 
  • New set of profiles, less constrained set of exchange resources 
    • RL: concern re: should this be in a separate IG predicated off of Base, will need to see how it's laid out and test it out; RD: require metadata profile data - will always know what profile it was based on
    • MD: Last Update: should be 0..1; RD: need to go back and restore the old Base profiles to add updated extensions
  • LN's question re: endpoint and mimetype and payload type (discussion planned for Wednesday Q1 HL7 WG meeting) - JL will be there, LN can interact via chat during the meeting. Ticket MD worked this up against endpoint resource because Patient Administration and Zulip about this step to inform our work (will not be on R5). 

ManagementNext Agenda

Future meetings:

  • Review Evernorth ballot comments
  • Request to revisit discussion, resolution re: endpoint use case topic from a week or so ago - better suited to be called purpose, and needed a separate data element that would reflect the workflow
  • Review HSDS revisions to align with our work
  • Reference Implementation link

Henderson Meeting Agenda Items:

  • What will we do with payloadType and payloadMimeType

Adjourned at 3:40 PM

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document