CodeX is a Member-driven HL7 FHIR Accelerator hosting a growing community working together to enable FHIR-based interoperability that drives substantial improvements around the most important challenges and opportunities in patient health.
In the Oncology space, CodeX Members are achieving interoperability by integrating and testing the mCODE (minimal Common Oncology Data Elements) FHIR Implementation Guide -- an open standard language for cancer data -- within Use Cases that test new workflows supporting better cancer care and research.
To stay up to date on all CodeX news, subscribe to the general mailing Listserv to your right. Feel free to email CodeX@hl7.org to share questions and interest.
All Use Cases align with the vision of collecting patient data once, and re-using it to enable a range of critical workflows:
Community => Use Cases => FHIR IGs + Implementations => Pilots => Impact!
CodeX is driven by its Community, and the community's prioritization of the most important challenges and potential solutions to collaborate on together. CodeX Use Cases - including collection and sharing of patient data for Real-World-Data clinical trials, matching patients with trials, radiation therapy, prior authorization, and registry reporting - demonstrate the potential to improve care and research. This demonstration is achieved through high-quality FHIR standards (free and open for all to use), implementations in software (commercial or open source products) and tested in new workflows, all piloted in-the-field by the stakeholders expected to benefit in the future.
Community of Practice
CodeX hosts a monthly Community of Practice (CoP) meeting, typically on the last Friday of each month at 12pm ET. These meetings are free and open to all who are interested. The Community discusses recent achievements around leveraging the mCODE standard and associated work to improve health care and research in the real world.
Please register to join our upcoming meeting by (1) selecting "Register Here" (2) including your information for registration and (3) choosing the “Add to calendar” drop-down link to add the meeting information and Zoom invitation.
Valuable content from previous CoP meetings can be found on the Meeting Minutes page. Please joins us!
CodeX Members drive improved data interoperability for better patient care and research. Patient organizations, specialty societies, health systems, researchers, system vendors and many others are already powering our work.
Paying, Sponsored and Government Members have the privilege of serving on CodeX Operating Committee and Use Case Project leadership teams, where they make decisions that drive standards-based solutions and piloting of those solutions.
CodeX in the News
- August 2022: HL7 Launches GenomeX Community to Enhance Genomic Data Interoperability. EHR Intelligence.
- July 2022: CodeX, HL7 International Launch GenomeX Community to Enhance Access to Genomic Data for Improved Patient Care, press release
- June 2022: HL7 News June 2022 Edition - CodeX Expands (p. 20)
- May 2022: MITRE Researchers Blaze a Shortcut to Health Data Sharing and Analysis
- Mar 2022: ACS CAN Provided Nearly $1 Million in Support From Amgen to Expand Cancer Clinical Trial Enrollment Through Improved Technology and Patient Support | American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (fightcancer.org), press release.
- Jan 2022: Taking Next Steps Towards Achieving Equitable Outcomes in Oncology. HL7 The Standard Blog.
- Sep 2021: HL7 News September 2021 Edition - Improving the Flow of Data from Multiple Databases is Crucial in Improving Therapy for Oncology Patients (p. 16)
- Jun 2021: New Approach Could Make Clinical Trials More Equitable and Accessible. The MITRE Corporation.
- Jun 2021: The Future of Oncology Data is Happening Now. ASTRO Blog.
- May 2021: ACS CAN and CodeX Lead Project to Expand Cancer Clinical Trial Enrollment Through Improved Technology, press release.
- mCODE, CodeX and Accelerating Healthcare Innovation - Part One: Informonster Podcast, a podcast about the Healthcare IT industry hosted by Charlie Harp, CEO of Clinical Architecture; mCODE, CodeX and Accelerating Healthcare Innovation - Part Two
- Feb 2021: HL7 News - CodeX Community Accelerates Smarter Data for the Fight Against Cancer (p.16)
- Nov 2020: Improving Cancer Data Interoperability: The Promise of the Minimal Common Oncology Data Elements (mCODE) Initiative
- Oct 2020: HL7 News - CodeX Community Stress-Tests the Value of a Common Language for Cancer Data
- "The Dish on Health IT" Podcast - Episode 11: HL7 CodeX: Transforming Cancer Care and Research
- Aug 2020: Healthcare IT News: MITRE working with Nuance and Mayo Clinic on AI and automation for clinical datasets
- Jul 2020: Healthcare Innovation: ICARE Study Gathers EHR Data for Oncology Research
- Jul 2020: NASEM Health and Medicine Division - Monica Bertagnolli, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
- No labels