CodeX (Common Oncology Data Elements eXtensions) is a HL7 FHIR Accelerator that is building a community to accelerate interoperable data modeling and applications leading to step-change improvements in cancer patient care and research.
CodeX members are achieving interoperability by integrating the mCODE (minimal Common Oncology Data Elements) FHIR Implementation Guide -- a standard language for cancer data -- into existing and new applications. As a part of this effort, CodeX will also develop extensions to mCODE as needed for Use-Cases-based projects to be successful.
For background, see the more detailed overview. To stay up to date on all CodeX news, subscribe to the general mailing Listserv below.
A number of potential CodeX Use Cases are now in the Discovery phase. These are Use Cases that promise to substantially improve cancer care and research through community alignment around the use of mCODE and necessary extensions for the sharing of standardized, structured cancer data. Current and prospective CodeX members are reviewing and building out Use Cases that will become the first CodeX projects.
CodeX is also launching the mCODE Community of Practice to share best practices for basic mCODE implementation within EHRs for data collection and sharing across a growing number of use cases.
A warm welcome to CodeX’s Founding Members! CodeX is currently talking with tens of organizations who are interested in becoming members to enable Smarter Data in the Fight Against Cancer. Contact Steve Bratt or Greg Shemancik to discuss membership options.
Building a community to accelerate the use of a common language for cancer data requires specialized, quality support. As this initiative rolls out, CodeX will document the roles and responsibilities for its Program/Project Management, Steering Committee, Operating Committee, and how CodeX will maintain architectural integrity and accelerate capabilities by training and sharing across the community.
HL7 has compiled an excellent resource on HL7 and its standards process and tools.
mCODE/CodeX in the News
- Healthcare Innovation: ICARE Study Gathers EHR Data for Oncology Research
- Healthcare IT News: MITRE working with Nuance and Mayo Clinic on AI and automation for clinical datasets
- NASEM Health and Medicine Division - Monica Bertagnolli, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
- Learn More About CodeX
- CodeX Membership
- mCODE Community of Practice
- CodeX Use Cases
- mCODE++ Extraction
- Integrated Trial Matching for Cancer Patients and Providers
- Cancer Registry Reporting
- Oncology Clinical Pathways (OCP)
- Oncology Clinical Pathways: Prior Authorization Support
- EHR Endpoints for Cancer Clinical Trials
- Radiation Therapy Treatment Data for Cancer
- CodeX Data Element / Profile / Value Set Analysis
- mCODE Test Data
- Community Tools
- Useful Resources
- Cancer Data Summit 2019
- Codex Program Plan July 2020 - July 2021
- CodeX 2020 Calendar
- No labels