Announcement #1: We're excited to announce that CodeX was named in the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy’s (OSTP) Advancing Clinical Trials Readiness initiative (found here). As part of the HL7 FHIR Accelerator community, CodeX, Vulcan and others will collaborate with ONC on faster clinical trial data capture. This work is critical to a stronger, national clinical trial infrastructure which will serve us all.
Announcement #2: Feasibility of Institution-Agnostic, EHR-Integrated Regional Clinical Trial Matching was recently published in the journal Cancer (found here). This paper highlights work done under the Integrated Clinical Trial Matching Use Case.
The paper lays out a framework that would provide the foundation for development of an automated screening tool and processes that would be integrated into provider workflows, directly interfacing with site electronic health records, that would search for trial eligibility in a regional manner.
CodeX is a Member-driven HL7 FHIR Accelerator hosting a growing community working together to enable FHIR-based interoperability that drives substantial improvements around the most important challenges and opportunities in patient health.
In the Oncology space, CodeX Members are achieving interoperability by integrating and testing the mCODE (minimal Common Oncology Data Elements) FHIR Implementation Guide -- an open standard language for cancer data -- within Use Cases that test new workflows supporting better cancer care and research.
To stay up to date on all CodeX news, subscribe to the general mailing Listserv to your right. Feel free to email CodeX@hl7.org to share questions and interest.
CodeX Vision & Data Strategy
All Use Cases align with the vision of collecting patient data once, and re-using it to enable a range of critical workflows:
CodeX Work & Impact Strategy: Community => Use Cases => FHIR IGs + Implementations => Pilots => Impact!
CodeX is driven by its Community, and the community's prioritization of the most important challenges and potential solutions to collaborate on together. CodeX Use Cases - including collection and sharing of patient data for Real-World-Data clinical trials, matching patients with trials, radiation therapy, prior authorization, and registry reporting - demonstrate the potential to improve care and research. This demonstration is achieved through high-quality FHIR standards (free and open for all to use), implementations in software (commercial or open source products) and tested in new workflows, all piloted in-the-field by the stakeholders expected to benefit in the future.
Community of Practice
CodeX hosts a monthly Community of Practice (CoP) meeting, typically on the last Friday of each month at 12pm ET. These meetings are free and open to all who are interested. The Community discusses recent achievements around leveraging the mCODE standard and associated work to improve health care and research in the real world.
Please register to join our upcoming meeting by (1) selecting "Register Here" (2) including your information for registration and (3) choosing the “Add to calendar” drop-down link to add the meeting information and Zoom invitation.
Valuable content from previous CoP meetings can be found on the Meeting Minutes page. Please joins us!
CodeX Members include patient organizations, specialty societies, health systems, researchers, system vendors and many others are already powering our work. The value proposition for becoming a Member of CodeX is clear. CodeX Members ...
- Collaborate and network in a safe environment
- Drive the future, through leadership on strategy, requirements definition, design, planning, building and piloting
- Gain early access to implementation of FHIR-based solutions, before those not involved in CodeX
- Agilely and quickly implement and pilot, thanks to active Member collaboration within the high-productivity framework provided by CodeX Program Management and Technical Support
- Are ambassadors in the global health data standards community
Paying, Sponsored and Government Members have the privilege of serving on CodeX Operating Committee and Use Case Project leadership teams, where they make decisions that drive standards-based solutions and piloting of those solutions.
CodeX in the News
- September 2023: Blog Post - September CodeX Community of Practice Showcases Oncology Data Collection and Documentation Transformation
- August 2023: Blog Post - Genomics is the Focus of Upcoming CodeX Community of Practice
- August 2023: Blog Post - HL7 Da Vinci Project and CodeX Discuss Prior Authorization Successes, Implementation Guides and their Application in Oncology at August Community Roundtable
- August 2023: Improving Blood Pressure Control in the United States: At the Heart of Million Hearts 2027
- July 2023: Blog Post - Curious About Quality? Plan to Attend the July CodeX Community of Practice
- June 2023: HL7 News Summer 2023 edition - CodeX Quality Measures for Cancer Project (page 18)
- July 2023: CodeX Makes Strides in Prior Authorization in Oncology
- May 2023: Self-Measured Blood Pressure Telemonitoring Programs: A Pragmatic How-to Guide
- April 2023: New Integrated Clinical Trials Matching Tool Holds Potential to Expand Access to Cancer Innovation
- March 2023: Blog Post - CodeX to Tackle More HL7 FHIR Patient Care and Research Use Cases with Expanding Steering Committee
- March 2023: CodeX Grows Steering Committee to Advance HL7 FHIR Interoperability
- February 2023: FCW Selects MITRE's Dr. Jay Schnitzer as a 2023 Federal 100 Honoree
- November 2022: Telligen Champions Oncology Quality Measures Use Case
- October 2022: REMS Integration Into Electronic Health Records to be Tested by US FDA in Software Pilot (subscription may be required)
- October 2022: Fighting Deadly Diseases with Equitable and Accessible Data - MITRE News
- October 2022: Monica Bertagnolli begins work as 16th director of the National Cancer Institute - National Institutes of Health New Release.
- September 2022: HL7 News September 2022 Edition - CodeX Advances Oncology Data Sharing (p. 24)
- September 2022: HL7 FHIR to launch genomic data interoperability community - Digital Health Insights (dhinsights.org)
- September 2022: HL7 FHIR Accelerator Launches Pilot for Oncology Prior Authorization. EHR Intelligence.
- September 2022: HL7 CodeX pilot to test prior authorizations in oncology. HealthcareIT News.
- August 2022: HL7’s Accelerator CodeX Launches Pilot to Simplify Prior Authorizations in Oncology, press release.
- August 2022: President Biden Intends to Appoint Dr. Monica Bertagnolli as Director of the National Cancer Institute. The White House.
- August 2022: HL7 Launches GenomeX Community to Enhance Genomic Data Interoperability. EHR Intelligence.
- August 2022: HL7 FHIR Accelerator CodeX Adds Genomics, Cardiovascular Efforts. Health Innovation.
- July 2022: CodeX, HL7 International Launch GenomeX Community to Enhance Access to Genomic Data for Improved Patient Care, press release
- June 2022: HL7 News June 2022 Edition - CodeX Expands (p. 20)
- May 2022: MITRE Researchers Blaze a Shortcut to Health Data Sharing and Analysis
- Mar 2022: ACS CAN Provided Nearly $1 Million in Support From Amgen to Expand Cancer Clinical Trial Enrollment Through Improved Technology and Patient Support | American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (fightcancer.org), press release.
- Jan 2022: Taking Next Steps Towards Achieving Equitable Outcomes in Oncology. HL7 The Standard Blog.
- Sep 2021: HL7 News September 2021 Edition - Improving the Flow of Data from Multiple Databases is Crucial in Improving Therapy for Oncology Patients (p. 16)
- Jun 2021: New Approach Could Make Clinical Trials More Equitable and Accessible. The MITRE Corporation.
- Jun 2021: The Future of Oncology Data is Happening Now. ASTRO Blog.
- May 2021: ACS CAN and CodeX Lead Project to Expand Cancer Clinical Trial Enrollment Through Improved Technology, press release.
- mCODE, CodeX and Accelerating Healthcare Innovation - Part One: Informonster Podcast, a podcast about the Healthcare IT industry hosted by Charlie Harp, CEO of Clinical Architecture; mCODE, CodeX and Accelerating Healthcare Innovation - Part Two
- Feb 2021: HL7 News - CodeX Community Accelerates Smarter Data for the Fight Against Cancer (p.16)
- Nov 2020: Improving Cancer Data Interoperability: The Promise of the Minimal Common Oncology Data Elements (mCODE) Initiative
- Oct 2020: HL7 News - CodeX Community Stress-Tests the Value of a Common Language for Cancer Data
- "The Dish on Health IT" Podcast - Episode 11: HL7 CodeX: Transforming Cancer Care and Research
- Aug 2020: Healthcare IT News: MITRE working with Nuance and Mayo Clinic on AI and automation for clinical datasets
- Jul 2020: Healthcare Innovation: ICARE Study Gathers EHR Data for Oncology Research
- Jul 2020: NASEM Health and Medicine Division - Monica Bertagnolli, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
- No labels